Assembly distributes discount cards

Students eagerly anticipating the arrival of their Student Advantage cards can rest assured that the wait is over, as the Student Assembly began delivering the cards to students' Hinman Boxes yesterday.

The Student Advantage card offers discounts for College students at local and national businesses. The Assembly purchased the cards from a distributor in Boston and is distributing them to students free of charge.

Scott Rowekamp '97, vice president of communications for the Assembly, said every student should get his or her Student Advantage Card in the next couple of days.

"As soon as the HB people get [the cards] distributed, everyone should have them," Rowekamp said.

In a statement released Sunday night, the Assembly announced students can receive a 10 percent discount "at nearly every Hanover business, including C&A's, Foodee's, Hanover Hardware, Lou's, Murphy's, Omer & Bob's, Panda House and Peter Christian's."

"Nationally, students can use the card to get discounts on airline tickets, Greyhound buses, Choice Hotels, Dollar Rent-A-Car and Loew's Theaters," the release stated. "In addition, Student Advantage is the only student discount program offered by Amtrak."

Rowekamp said the Assembly negotiated with the Student Advantage Card, a Boston-based company, to purchase cards for the entire student body for about $2,500. The cards normally cost $20 each.

Rowekamp said because the Assembly "cut a deal," the Student Advantage Card has delayed distribution of the Upper Valley dining guides, a booklet that includes menus for local restaurants.

Student Advantage also publishes the dining guide.

Rowekamp said Student Advantage has given him the "run-around" and he hoped the dining guides will soon find their way to students' HBs.

The dining guides cost the Assembly about $1,000 and will also be free to all students.