Pamphlet gives advice about safe sex

Members of the Class of 1999 received some extra words of unsolicited wisdom from their elders during orientation week this year.

On Friday, a group of about 20 mostly anonymous women from the Classes of 1995 and 1996 distributed a free, non-College sponsored guide to sexual health that contained condoms to all freshmen.

"The Other Student Handbook," as the 18-page guide is called, provides information on such topics as "How to Use an Oral Dam," "Lubricants / Spermicides & Latex" and "Fun Things to Do at Dartmouth with Someone Special."

The document's introduction states: "You won't get all the information you need about college from the administration, the Student Handbook and your UGA! That is why we, a group of '95s, wrote and produced 'The Other Student Handbook' for you."

Two or three condoms were glued to each handbook.

"It is a standard thing schools do," said Dascha Weir '95, a spokeswomen for the group. "The College had stopped."

Women's Health Program Manager Jan Sundnas, who proofread the document for accuracy, said "it was produced by a group of women that were very concerned about making information available to students about safer sex."

"The intention was very altruistic," she said.

"This Handbook was written, prepared and distributed by women students (95's and 96's) concerned with student health ... it is not an official Dartmouth College publication," the document states.

It was important the College not be officially involved because of the handbook's explicit content, Sundnas said.

"There was some concern, and rightfully so, about the document potentially being offensive ... The administration realized it could be potentially controversial," she said.

The handbook includes a "Safer Sex Menu," which includes such fare as "dry humping" and "masturbating while your partner watches or holds you." Later sections describe common food products that can be used as lubricants.

"A lot of people think safe sex is boring, a pain, or a hassle," Weir said. "But safer sex can be fun and does not have to have sex in it."

Director of Health Resources Gabrielle Lucke, who also helped proofread the document, said she does not find the material obscene.

"Some of it is eyebrow raising, but it is good material for college students," she said. Lucke said it could have been obscene if the text was accompanied by pictures.

Most freshmen said they agree the pamphlet is in good taste.

"It was interesting," Joann Bassani '99 said. "I don't think they could be too offensive. I'm sure a lot of people are having sex, so I don't think it is wrong at all."

Anna Deutschendorf '99 said "by putting in slightly raunchy things you keep people more interested. I thought it was clever. I appreciated getting it."

"I don't think it was obscene. I think it was something [freshmen] would benefit from," Mark Bruni '99 said.

According to Amie Servino '99, "it is a useful service. I think people need to know and it saves them from having to ask if they are embarrassed."

Karen Hung '99 said the condoms are valuable since "it is to prevent people from getting HIV, not to suggest you have intercourse. It is for protection. In case things get out of hand and you want to go further, at least you have protection."

According to Weir, other spokeswomen for the project are Daisy Alpert '95, Courtney Bell '96 and Vanessa Santaga '96, who could not be reached for comment.

The project was funded by private donations and a small grant from Dick's House, Weir said. The condoms were donated by their manufacturers.