Hood showcases Native American art

Who could ever imagine the enormous power held within the click of a shutter -- a power capable of unleashing emotions and overturning ideas in mere fractions of seconds. By harnessing this power and coupling it with imagination, diligence, and experience, five prominent Native American photographers are confronting issues of Native American identity in the exhibition "Image and Self in Contemporary Native American Photoart."

As part of the Hood Museum's "Issues of Native American Identity" program, "Image and Self" strives to examine the nature and construction of this identity across time and cultures.

"The message we hope the exhibition will convey is that Native American artists speak eloquently for themselves, addressing issues of identity and self-representation from a Native perspective," said Associate Director of the Hood, Suzanne Gandell. The five artists combine photo imagery with painted text, collage technique and mixed-media embellishment to challenge viewers' preconceived notions of Native cultures and fine art.

Though working towards a common goal, the artists use different social commentaries to drive this message home. Shelley Niro (Mohawk) depicts Native women "having fun and being proud of who they are." Her series of triptychs demonstrate how she must deal with superficial modes of communication to survive in today's world.

Jolene Rickard (Turtle Clan, Tuscarora) uses her work as a "vehicle for story-telling and remembering." Speaking through her "visual language," Rickard contrasts nature with technological modernity in "Sky Woman's Reality." Capturing her own traditions and memories on film, she strikes at viewers' mythologized conceptions of her culture.

"My art making has been a way of believing in myself, understanding myself," said Richard Ray Whitman (Yuchi). Emphasizing the differences in Native and Euro-American cultures, Whitman challenges the latter to "recognize its indifference and ignorance."

Hulleah Tsinhnahjinnie's (Navajo/Creek/Seminole) camera work examines the interaction of personal and political issues in her world. Her sepia snapshots narrate the transformation of this world as the viewer marvels at the biting intensity of her art.

Similar to Niro's themes, Carm Little Turtle (Apache/Tarahumara) explores the role of women in her Native culture. Her vivid hand-painted photos contain many "private symbols" which can evoke a different response in every viewer. Her staging of props and models against natural backgrounds creates a de-personalized message, forcing attention to broader social issues.

"The artists move beyond stereotypes to examine perceptions of Native American identity both within Native communities and in American popular culture," Gandlell said. "Image and Self" is well worth the trip and easily merits a second visit. The works stick in your mind and force you to give thought to the position of Native Americans in our society. Their pieces are humorous and ironic one moment and bitter and confontational the next. This emotional blend makes for a very satisfying journey, showcasing the intense emotional power of photoart at its best.

The exhibit, organized by Dartmouth curatorial interns Ronald Martinez '97, August Lopez '97 and Jennifer Skoda '94, is on display through November 26.