DFS tantalizes the mind with sex

When the subject was discussed in seventh grade health class, you turned red in the face and giggled hysterically. Upon entering high school it seemed like you just could not hear enough about it, and now the Dartmouth Film Society plans to package this cause celebre for its fall cinematic series.

The subject is sex, the often taboo and always controversial topic, and the title of this year's DFS series which consists of an impressive repertoire of movie classics and new wave flicks.The films, which feature picts directed by such well known artists as David Lynch and Spike Lee, will be shown in the Spaulding Auditorium, Hopkins Center this term.

The series includes a wide gamut of film genres and styles including an early silent film entitled "Queen Kelly" completed in 1933, the adolescent hi-jinks as depicted in "Porky's" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" which were made in the early 80's, all the way up to this year's summer fare at the Sundance and Cannes Film Festivals, "Kids."

In this, cinema's centennial anniversary since it's beginnings in Lyon, France, it was only appropriate to explore sex.It is the one subject that has endured and has been continually re-examined throughout the history of movies, said Bill Pence, the Hop's film director.

"This is the perfect opportunity to look at a subject which has been so historic yet controversial," Pence said.

As described in the Hop's brocure, sex is a subject which "has transcended genre, national origin and the sweep of time in film; its pervasiveness leaves few films untouched."

"Sex in the Cinema" will highlight several films "all of social or artistic consequence" Pence said.

The line-up currently includes such pieces as"Mandingo" which chronicles the salacious goings-on of plantation life, and Spike Lee's earliest film foray, "She's Gotta Have It."

Following on the heels of last spring's cinema venue entitled "Secrets" and this summer's "Blockbusters," "Sex in the Cinema" is sure to sell tickets. The notable films on this term's program include "Kids," "Carnal Knowledge," "The Tropic of Cancer," "Blue Velvet" and the animated 'classic,' "Fritz the Cat." After all, what could be a bigger boost at the box office than showing some skin and dotting the audio with a little hard breathing?

However, Pence said it was a hard sale for members of the DFS to approve.

The theme failed when first submitted because of its selection and was later re-submitted and endorsed, said Pence.

The creators for this term's series are Chris Kelley '96 and Michael Ellenberg '97.

Sure to be different, bawdy, and alluring. "Sex in the Cinema" should at least give students something to talk about.