Devens '96 memorial to be held Sunday: 3 p.m. service for three-sport star will take place in Rollins Chapel

The College will hold a memorial service Sunday afternoon to remember Sarah Devens '96, who died tragically over the summer.

The service will begin at 3 p.m. at Rollins Chapel, and a brief reception will follow in the main foyer of Alumni Gym.

College Chaplain Gwendolyn King will officiate the ceremony.

The service will be not only a remembrance, but also a celebration of Devens' life, King said.

"We will be celebrating Sarah's life, and the person she was and is in the hearts of people who remember her," King said.

"We've all tried to work together to come up with something that will honor Sarah and her life among us," King added.

Devens, who some call the greatest female athlete ever to attend Dartmouth, died in July at her home in Essex, Mass., of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

King said several of Devens' close friends will speak at the service.

"We have tried to include and incorporate as many of her friends as possible, and they have been more than willing to do that," King said.

Associate Athletic Director Josie Harper will also speak at the memorial.

Harper said she is collecting written remembrances from Devens' friends, and these remembrances will be read at the service.

The coaches of the three varsity teams on which Devens played -- field hockey coach Julie Dayton, women's ice hockey coach George Crowe and women's lacrosse coach Amy Patton -- have all been very helpful in planning the service, King said.

"I think the service will flow very well and will incorporate a lot of the suggestions and ideas of many of Sarah's friends," King said.

"Sarah was a remarkable woman, not just a remarkable athlete. I have come to recognize that in talking to her friends and people who knew her best," she said.

"It is that life we want to celebrate," King said.

Devens, who was 21 when she died, was a psychology major. She excelled at all three sports she played, and was an All-American in lacrosse this year. She also was the co-winner of the Class of 1976 award, presented annually to the College's outstanding female athlete.