Dartmouth kicks off 226th year

College President James Freedman and keynote speaker Barry Sharpless '63, a chemistry professor at the Scripps Research Institute, formally opened Dartmouth's 226th year by stressing the importance of education at Convocation ceremonies at Leede Arena yesterday.

Student Assembly President Jim Rich '96 also addressed the audience of about 500 people, nearly all of them students.

Following his opening remarks, Freedman introduced Sharpless and presented him with an honorary doctor of science degree. Freedman praised Sharpless for his pioneering work in the field of chemistry, specifically asymmetric catalysis, and complemented Sharpless on how his research has led to dramatic pharmaceutical developments.

In his address, Sharpless called Convocation "my own private homecoming" and added he felt like a "homecoming queen," drawing laughter from the crowd.

Sharpless reminisced about an older Dartmouth, which he said was much smaller and much more isolated from the rest of the world.

Citing the words of former College President John Sloan Dickey, Sharpless told the students they are citizens of the community and the "matter" composing the institution.

Sharpless said he was motivated to learn by early struggles as a Dartmouth freshman and by excellent professors, such as Chemistry Professor Thomas Spencer, who "knocked my socks off."

Dean of the Faculty James Wright presided over Convocation in place of Provost Lee Bollinger, who is currently in London.

Donned in robes, the faculty and administration marched in a procession during a trumpet fanfare led by Henry Purcell.

Wright introduced Rabbi Daniel Siegel, who offered an opening prayer. Siegel asked the audience to consider the benefits of cooperation, interconnectedness and world harmony.

Freedman then addressed the audience, the ninth time he has spoken at a Convocation ceremony as College President.

He began by welcoming the members of the Class of 1999 and said he was proud to see a class of Dartmouth students with more women than men, drawing applause from the audience. There are 526 women and 522 men in the Class of 1999.

Citing novels and the words of the late Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, Freedman suggested students avoid fantasizing and instead seek satisfying lives by fully experiencing a liberal arts education and by living up to noble principles.

"You could not do better than to emulate people who are idealists," Freedman said. Idealists are men and women who care about those who need help, involve themselves in civic service and protect the legal rights of all people, he said.

Following Sharpless' speech, Rich addressed the crowd, and he began by discussing the loss of Sarah Devens '96, who died over the summer. He called her "an inspiring leader and a good friend" who will by sorely missed.

Commending Dartmouth's progressive steps, Rich discussed the commitment the College made to equal opportunity in 1968 and the coeducation of the College in 1972. He also praised the new core-curriculum instituted last year.

Rich went on to warn incoming freshman against joining what he termed "Team Nothing."

Rich said although members of "Team Nothing" are not a majority of the student body, too many students become apathetic toward college life and avoid participating in extra-curricular activities or classes.

After working hard in high school, some students burn out and slide into "Team Nothing," Rich said.

"Your challenge, indeed your duty, as we approach the 21st century is to make the Dartmouth community stronger, tighter and more dynamic," Rich said. "To achieve this, however, requires the strength of each of you to commit yourselves to being committed -- both in and out of the classroom."

The Glee Club and Chamber Singers concluded the ceremonies by leading the audience in singing the College Alma Mater. Then the robed faculty and administration marched out in a recessional as Purcell again orchestrated a trumpet fanfare, ending Convocation.

Even though the Registrar's Office moved the ceremony from its usual time in the morning to the afternoon, fewer people attended this year's Convocation than last year's ceremonies.