Summer Assembly wraps up term

By expanding student services, the Summer Student Assembly accomplished many of its goals this summer and hopes to serve as a model for this year's Assembly.

Summer Assembly adjourned with a list of accomplishments including an internet version of the student course guide, a Scholastic Assessment Test preparation course for high school students.

"The Assembly is now moving in the right direction of being an effective student voice, knowing what the student body wants, and working actively to meet those needs and wants," said Summer President Matt Shafer '97.

Summer Assembly Vice President Scott Rowekamp '97 said that the Summer Assembly should be an inspiration for Student Assembly.

"We spent less time on politics, and concentrated more on student services," Rowekamp said.

With the exception of the SAT preparation program, Student Assembly President Jim Rich '96 and Vice PresidentKelii Opulauoho '96 set the agenda for the summer, Shafer said.

The Summer Assembly accomplished its goal of placing the student course guide on the World Wide Web.

"The course guide [on the web] will be smaller, and won't have comprehensive coverage," said President Matt Shafer. "It's free. We wasted $12,000 last year on the course guide."

Shafer said that the Assembly hopes to have the course guide on the Web by the start of Fall term.

Summer Assembly is finalizing plans to start an SAT course, where Dartmouth students will go to local high schools twice a week. "We hope to have the program running by Winter term," Shafer said.

The Summer Assembly also put out a Dining Guide, wrote a campus organization newsletter for incoming freshman, and worked on plans to send the Student Advantage card to students' Hinman boxes, Shafer said.

The Saferides program, which would provide students with a ride home independent of intoxication, and a new advising program, are only in the planning stages, Shafer said.

Summer Secretary Meredith Epstein '97 said progress on forming a committee of faculty, administrators, and students to research other advising programs and examine the College's current advising program has been slow.

"I thought there was a chance a committee could be formed this summer, but things have to change slowly," she said.