Summer Montgomery Fellows visit, lecture

Richard Lamm, a former three-term governor of Colorado and Director of the University of Denver's Center for Public Policy, has returned to the College this summer for his second term as a Montgomery Fellow.

Lamm's wife Dorothy, a social and political activist and 16-year Denver Post columnist, will also be a Montgomery Fellow this term.

Richard Lamm last served as a Montgomery Fellow for six months in 1987.

As part of their current fellowship, the two will each give public lectures, visit classes and meet students.

Dorothy Lamm will lecture on "The Road from Cairo to Beijing: Population Pressures/Women Power (The Crucial Connection)" on July 13.

On July 25, Richard Lamm will speak about "The Challenges of an Aging Society: Infinite Needs, Finite Resources."

Prior to being elected governor of Colorado in 1975, Richard Lamm served as a member of the House of Representatives from 1966-1974.He was an attorney and professor of law at the University of Denver.

Richard Lamm has also served appointments at the University of Colorado, the University of Pittsburgh, the University of New Orleans and the University of California Medical School, San Francisco.

Lamm has been called "one of the new breed of political analysts" who argues that the challenge of the 1990s is to meet new public needs with an ever limited pool of resources, according to a College press release.

The author of five books, Lamm was named one of Time magazine's "200 Young Leaders of America" and in 1993 was awarded the American Humanist Associations "Humanist of the Year" award.

Dorothy Lamm has been in many lines of work. She was once an assembly line worker, a flight attendant, a social worker and acollege faculty member, according to a recent College press release.

She has spoken extensively throughout the west about women's rights, reproductive health care and the problems of overpopulation.

During her husband's administration, Dorothy Lamm served on the Colorado Governor's Children's Commission on the Status of Women and chaired the state's Governor's Task Force on Children.

Currently, she serves on the foundation board of the National Abortion Rights Action League,is a presidential delegate to the United Nations Conference on the Status of Women and a board member of the Center for Population and Development Activities.

Most recently, Dorothy Lamm traveled to Cairo, Egypt, as a member of the United States' delegation to the United Nations Conference on Population and Development.

This September, she will travel to Beijing, China, as a member of the U.S. delegation to the U.N. Fourth Conference on Women.

The Montgomery Fellowship was established in 1977 by Kenneth Montgomery '25and his wife Harle, to "provide for the advancement of the academic realm of the College ... making possible new dimensions for, as well as extraordinary enrichments to, the educational experience" at Dartmouth, according to a College press release.

Fellows visit the College for periods of three days to three terms, depending on how long the fellow can stay, the endowment's resources and whether they are able to teach courses.

While on campus, Montgomery Fellows reside in the Montgomery House, located on Rope Ferry Road by Dick's House.

The Lamms could not be reached for comment yesterday.