Students to create Hindu group

Sophomores Geeta Bahl and Amitabh Chibber saidthey hope to get a new Hindu student group up-and-running by the end of the summer.

Although Chibber said few of the College's Hindu students are deeply religious, this group would allow those students to explore their faith in ways that Milan, the Southeast Asian students organization, does not allow because of its broader focus.

"When living at home it is very easy to take parents' religious rituals for granted, and a few of us realized last year that we didn't all just have similar memories -- we also missed the presence of religious worship here at school," Bahl and Chibber wrote Friday in an electronic-mail message seeking student interest.

Chibber emphasized the group is only beginning. He and Bahl are also missing a few other essentials.

"We don't even have a name for the club," Chibber said.

Bahl said the group also requires an "elder," an adult versed in Hindu ritual who could advise students on practicing the religion.

Chibber and Bahl said they don't know how many students might eventually join, but they estimated the group could range from 10 to 15 Hindu students.

Sunil Desai, a Hindu graduate student at Thayer School of Engineering, said he, too, feels the same void.

"There's nothing out here for Hindus as such," Desai said. The group "would just be helpful."