Students play safe at Tubestock

More than 1,000 students, alumni and community members gathered in the water Saturday for Tubestock, Hanover's annual floating party on the Connecticut River.

Hundreds of students, some sober and some not, participated in the festivities this year, frolicking in the river just north of the Ledyard Bridge and jumping off the porch of the house on the Connecticut known as the "River Ranch."

Students who attended the event, a tradition that started in 1987, seemed pleased with their experience.

Sarah Marone '97 said she felt the event actually lived up to its hype, probably due to the good weather.

"It was fun," she said. "I didn't think it would, but it definitely did" live up to its reputation.

Mez Roberts, an exchange student from the University of Edinburgh, said Tubestock was "really fun, though I think it would be better if you were with a group of people."

Roberts attended the event with Amarna undergraduate society, she said.

Not all Tubestock participants had such a great time, however.Nishad Chande '97 was getting into the river near the "River Ranch" home when he cut his toe on a rock or a piece of glass. An ambulance took him to the hospital.

"I had to have stitches," Chande said. Still, he said he thought Tubestock "was pretty cool."

Owen Hughes '97, along with Ryan FitzSimons '96 and Bill Kelleher '96, was involved in a partnership to sell tubes to the campus.

Hughes estimated he sold around800 tubes. The project "took me about a week to organize," he said.Hughes said he inflated tubes from Wednesday night until Saturday for the event.

Hughes would not speculate how much money he expects to make from tube sales.