Sophomore parents come to campus

It's time to clean your room and do your dirty laundry. Your parents are coming to town.

This weekend, the 1997 class council will sponsor Sophomore Family Weekend. A vast array of lectures, dramatic performances, dinners, brunches, and tours, have been for the weekend arranged to help students keep their families entertained.

Class of 1997 President Pam Saunders said about 385 families are registered for the event, and the Council is counting on about 1,000-1,100 people, including '97s, to participate in the weekend's festivities.

"On Saturday my mom wants to do the 5:30 a.m. walk, but I think she'll be doing that without me," Cara Abercrombie '97 said.

Abercrombie said she and her mother plan to go to dinner and see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts.

"I am excited that we'll get to spend time together and hang out," she said.

Class of 1997 Vice President Matt Shafer said the Office of Student Activities was a resource for the class council "what to do."

Saunders and Shafer said the weekend will include the classic things, like barbeques, but will also include innovative ideas, such as walking tours of campus and a bird watch.

On Thursday, July 27, parents will be able to relive their child's Dartmouth Outing Club experiences with a night at Dartmouth's Ravine Lodge at Mount Moosilauke.

About 70 people signed up for the event, according to Meg Hires, an employee at the Ravine Lodge.

Dinner will be served by the Summer Moosilauke staff followed by square dancing with Everett Blake.

On Friday, parents and students can hike seven miles up the mountain.

On Friday at 3 p.m. in Collis, Director of the College New Service and College Spokesman Alex Huppe will lead a discussion on Dartmouth's position in the national media.

From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. that evening, students can take their parents to an evening jazz reception in the Collis Center.

And for those who prefer drama to music, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" will debut in the Moore Theater in the Hopkins Center at 8 p.m.

On Saturday morning, parents can drag their children out of bed early for a sunrise walk at 5:30 a.m. in front of Collis. The total distance of the walk is two miles.

If students still have energy after the sunrise walk, they can go to the Pancake Paddle at the Ledyard Canoe Club, enjoy pancakes and paddle down the Connecticut River. Seventy tickets are available, first-come first-serve.

If students want to show their parents how difficult it is to get up at 7:45 a.m. to go to language drill, they will have their chance Saturday morning from 8-9 a.m. You have your choice of French, Japanese, Spanish, Russian, Italian or German.

Class of 1997 Dean Teoby Gomez will address parents and students on the "Values of a Liberal Arts Education," at 9:30 a.m.

In the afternoon, Physics Professor Delo Mook, Film Studies Professor Albert LaValley, Chemistry Professor James Worman, English Professor James Heffernan, Psychology Professor John Pfister, Physics Professor John Fesen, Mathematics Professor Thomas Sundquist and Women's Studies Professor Ivy Schweitzer will lead lectures in their respective fields.

At 11 a.m., students can show their parents the artistic side of Dartmouth with a tour of the Hood Museum.

After the tour, you can head down to Storrs' Pond Recreation Area to eat. The Decipellas will sing at 2 p.m..

"Before the Rain" is playing at the Hopkins Center at 7 and 9:15 p.m. "A Midsummer's Night Dream" will be performed at 8 p.m and a hypnotist will perform at 8 p.m. in Webster Hall.

The weekend concludes with a brunch at Thayer Dining Hall Saturday morning from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.