Slush money stolen from KDE

Kappa Delta Epsilon lost its summer slush fund last week when someone stole $600 from the sorority's social chair's room, according to an electronic-mail message summer KDE President Gretchen Lanka '97 sent to other Greek house presidents last week.

"Our slush fund envelope was stolen out of [sophomore KDE sister] Lynn Thacher's room sometime today," Lanka wrote last Wednesday.

A "slush fund" is the money Greek houses collect from their members to purchase alcohol.

"I don't mean to accuse anyone, but it most likely happened within the Greek system, so I wanted to come to you and ask about it," Lanka wrote.

In another electronic-mail message sent yesterday to The Dartmouth, Lanka said KDE has contacted the Department of Safety and Security "and will take further measures as we see fit."

Safety and Security Sergeant Harley Bettis said he will only begin investigating the case if the house decides not to take the incident to the Hanover Police.

Hanover Police said yesterday they had no information on the case.

"The house as a whole is coping very well. Obviously, we're all very upset, but I think that's a normal reaction to any theft," Lanka wrote to The Dartmouth.

Asked how the loss of the fund would affect the sorority's social programming for the term, Lanka wrote, "We're going to deal with that as it goes."

Lanka and Thacher, who is KDE's social chair, both refused to give further details of the theft.

James Freeman '97, summer president of the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council, said he expects the theft will affect KDE this term, but he called the theft an "isolated incident" that does not impact the Greek system as a whole.