Jim Rich '96 calls for unity in SA

Most freshmen students will get their first glimpse of Student Assembly President Jim Rich '96 as he delivers a speech at convocation.

Rich said he hopes to"give a perspective of Dartmouth from an upperclassmen who has maybe seen and experienced some of the things they are about to experience."

But he already has some advice for incoming first-year students: "Be involved actively in making Dartmouth a better place because it's small enough that every student can make a difference."

This is advice Rich himself seems to have followed.

Rich's experiences at the College range from being captain of the men's tennis team to a member of the Committee on Standards.

And then Rich, a government major from Bedford, N.H., ran in the spring for Assembly President, using the slogan, "Not for the right, not for the left -- for Dartmouth." He won with 32% of the vote.

"Be open to participate in all sorts of different activities at Dartmouth -- both academic and extra-curricular."Rich added.

"Get to meet as many people as you can and to really engross yourself in this place because you only have four years to experience it," he added.

He said although he would never have chosen another college, he recognizes there are things at Dartmouth that need changing. One aspect he decided to change was the way Dartmouth's Student Assembly worked.