Hull chosen to replace Dean Tillman

French Professor Stephanie Hull will take over as acting assistant dean of freshmen for the next academic year, the Freshman Office announced yesterday.

Starting Sept. 1, Hull will replace former Associate Dean of Freshmen Anthony Tillman, who resigned from the position in the spring to become the executive director of student life at Drew University in Madison, N.J.

Dean of Freshmen Peter Goldsmith said Hull will direct the Intensive Academic Support Program for freshmen as well as perform the duties of an "all-purpose dean" such as meeting with students.

Dean of Freshmen Peter Goldsmith said Hull was chosen "in part because she is a dedicated teacher and a warm and caring human being who takes a great interest in students both professionally and personally."

Goldsmith said Hull, who teaches in both the French department and the women's studies program, is "particularly dedicated to help students achieve the highest possible level academically."

Goldsmith in June told The Dartmouth that the College will form a search committee in the fall to find a permanent assistant dean.

Hull, who has been a freshman adviser for the past two years, said she has always been interested in administrative work.

"I'm very enthusiastic about the position,"said Hull, who has worked at the College for three years.

At Dartmouth, Hull has served on the Committee on Student Organizations, the Women's Studies Steering Committee, the Mellon Minority Fellows Selection Committee and was a panelist for the Minority Graduate Pipeline Projection of the Consortium on Financing Higher Education.

She earned her undergraduate degree at Wellesley College and holds a Ph.D. in French Literature from Harvard University.

While completing her doctorate at Harvard, Hull served as a Teaching Fellow and Dissertation Fellow at Wellesley and was a Minority Scholar-in-Residence.