Hanover restaurants offer a full range of dining choices

After a few months or after a few weeks, many '99s will become tired of the food of Dartmouth Dining Services. But there is no need to fear. The town of Hanover offers several alternatives.Cafe Buon Gustaio

Cafe Buon Gustaio offers fine Italian dining in an elegant setting. It has many pastas and pizza specials, and is a great place to go for a special dinner. It is open in the evenings, and entrees cost about $10.The Daniel Webster Room

The Daniel Webster Room in the Hanover Inn is the only four diamond restaurant in New Hampshire and provides an upscale alternative to the Dartmouth dining scene. Entrees cost more than $20, and the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner.

Every Friday afternoon the Daniel Webster Room offers a brunch, which is a popular end of the week treat for many students.This meal can be charged to a student ID.5 Olde Nugget Alley

The 5 Olde Nugget Alley, open 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. for lunch, 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. for dinner, is a great place to treat yourself to a nice meal after a long day of studying or to celebrate a special occasion. Fajitas and finger lickers are its most popular items.

5 Olde also serves sandwiches, burgers, chicken and steak entrees, and salads. It also has a delicious dessert tray. Entrees are a bit more expensive, costing about $8-$10 each.The Ivy Grill

The Ivy Grill, located in the Hanover Inn, is a great place to gowhen you get sick of DDS food, and when you are short on cash, as you can charge your meal to your College ID. The Grill has great cheeseburgers, dinner specials, and pizza. Entrees are a bit on the expensive side -- costing about $10. The Grill is open from 11:30 a.m. to midnight, and operates an outdoor terrace in the summer.Jesse's Restaurant

Jesse's Restaurant with its humongous fireplaces and deep cushy seating is perfect on snowy evenings. Officially, it is a steakhouse, but it also serves lobster, seafood, and chicken specials. Jesse's is famous for its extensive salad bar. Jesse's is open for dinner and Sunday brunch. Entrees cost between $11 and $20.Jewel of India

Jewel of India offers students the opportunity to experience a different culture right here in Hanover. Jewel of India serves Indian seafood, chicken, vegetable, and rice specials. It is open from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., and costs between $8 and $10 for an entree.Lou's

Lou's Restaurant, located on Main Street, is as close as you'll get to a diner without leaving Hanover. With 1950s music playing in the background and black and white photographs lining the walls, Lou's serves breakfast all day long.It also offer grilled items, chicken, steaks, salads, and sandwiches.

Lou's is open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., but is closed Monday. It is also reasonably priced, usually costing less than $10 for dinner.Molly's Balloon

Molly's Balloon serves just about everything -- great sandwiches, Mexican entrees, soups, salads, chicken, burgers, and pasta. Entrees cost between $6 and $11. Molly's also operates its own walk-in deli. It is open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday to Thursday.Mrs. Ou's and Mei Mei

Mrs. Ou's and Mei Mei are two ofHanover's Chinese restaurants. Ms. Ou's serves classic, authentic Chinese food in a modern setting, and offers daily lunch specials. It is open until 10 p.m. and entrees cost between $5 and $10. They also deliver. Mei Mei offers Chinese food for take-out or delivery. Prices vary between $6 and $8.Murphy's Tavern

The bar at Murphy's Tavern is a right of passage for many of the College'sstudents who have turned 21.It also serves good food in a casual and relaxed atmosphere. It has great cheeseburgers, chicken dinners, steaks, seafood, soups and salads. Murphy's is open 11:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. Entrees cost around $8 to $10. Panda House

Panda House, serving Chinese food in an elegant setting, is one of the most popular restaurants in Hanover. It will also deliver to your room.

Panda House is open for lunch and dinner, although during lunch you get the same amount of food at half price.Entrees range from $5 to $10. Ordering in will cost you about $10.Peter Christian's Tavern

Peter Christian's Tavern, in the spirit of an old English pub, serves home-cooked meals at moderate prices.

Peter Christian's makes all of its foods from scratch, and serves soups, sandwiches, quiche, and Mexican dishes. It is open for lunch and dinner, and entrees cost about $10.Pizza

For pizza lovers, Hanover has three restaurants that will cater to your needs -- Everything But Anchovies (known around here as EBA's), C&A's Pizza and Foodee's Pizza. EBAs is the restaurant of choice for hanging out with friends on late nights amid photographs and paraphernalia from Dartmouth's past.

EBAs serves pasta specials, sandwiches, and salads in addition to pizza specials. Make sure to try its famous chicken sandwiches and super spuds.

EBAs delivers until 2 a.m, so you can order food on chilly winter evenings during late night study sessions. EBAs is also reasonably priced. Entrees cost between $5 and $8. It is open 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

C&A's House of Pizza also has a pretty basic menu, serving pizza, subs, and pasta in a casual atmosphere. Its cheeseburger sub is notorious. C&A's also delivers until 11 p.m. C&A's has a moderate price range, from $2.95 to $11.95. It is open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. weekdays, and until 12 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

Foodee's pizza is located a mile-and-a-half from the Green, but, like most eating establishments in Hanover, it will deliver right to your dorm room. Prices range from $4 to $16, and it is open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.Subway

Hanover does not offer any fast food restaurants -- sorry, you'll need a car to take you to West Lebanon for that.But a Subway has recently opened next door to Ben and Jerry's. It serves hot and cold sandwiches and salads, and a meal is usuallyless than $5. Subway is open 9 a.m to 10 p.m.Desserts and more

If you're in the mood for ice cream or a tasty dessert, Hanover will not disappoint.

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream shop serves its famous ice cream in a colorful setting. There, you can order a "Vermonster," but only if you have a large group of hungry people.

The Dirt Cowboy Cafe is a place to hang out with friends and talk after a long evening spent in Baker library. Open until midnight for late night snackers, it offers many kinds of coffee, desserts and sandwiches.

The Bagel Basement, offering all kinds of bagels, cream cheeses, sandwiches and bakery goods is a great palace to stop by for a quick snack.

Cafe Francoise is another great place for an afternoon snack. It serves pastries and sandwiches, with prices less than $5.