Delivery man charged with assault

JeffreyGrosse, of Fairlee, Vt., a former employee of Everything But Anchovies, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to two counts of aggravated sexual assault after he confessed to sexually assaulting two counselors at Camp Wyoda on Lake Fairlee, according to the Valley News.

According to a press release issued by the Vermont State Police, two female counselors were sexually assaulted in their cabin at 3 a.m. on July 21 by a male suspect who fled after the attack.

The Valley News reported Grosse allegedly climbed through a hole in a fence of the camp, which he knew about, and made his way to the cabin where the assaults took place.

Grosse allegedly threatened the 18- and 19-year-old victims with a paring knife. Grosse allegedly forced one of the victims to perform oral sex on him.

Grosse had allegedly been seen peering into tents and cabins with a flashlight at Camp Billings, one-tenth of a mile up the road, before he was chased away after telling counselors he was security, the Valley News reported.

Grosse was arrested Monday by a team of Vermont State Police investigators after admitting to the crimes. He was ordered to be held without bail at his arraignment yesterday in the district court in Chelsea because he reportedly told police he intended to flee the state.

Court appointed attorney Dan Sedon could not be reached for comment.

An anonymous caller led police to Grosse after he correctly matched Grosse's identity to the composite drawn according to descriptions given by the victims.

The caller also told police Grosse had a previous history of sexual crimes and had recently served nearly 15 years in prison for such offenses, according to the Valley News.

Grosse quit his job July 24 as a deliverer for EBAs in Hanover.

EBAs owner Charlie Dowd said he did not know of Grosse's prior convictions until after Grosse's arrest.

According to Dowd, Grosse skipped the section of his application that asked about previous arrests.

Dowd said he called Grosse's previous employer before hiring him and there were no problems relayed concerning Grosse.

Grosse had "one of the better personalities" of his employees, Dowd said.

Other EBAs employees were "shocked, disappointed and terrified" by the news, according to Dowd.

Camp owners Mary Kay and Robert Binder told the Valley News they were pleased with the police's quick work in solving the case.

"From the very first early morning speedy response to our call for help, [the police] have at all levels demonstrated a high professionalism, a meticulous attention to detail and an especially sensitive consideration for the victims of the assault," Mary Kay Binder said.