Asgard sits on status

Asgard will wait until after the Alchohol Task Force releases its final report in August to decide whether it will become an undergraduate society, according to Asgard's summer liaison with the Office of Residential Life Padraic Malinowski '97.

Asgard, a student group providing nonalcoholic programming, will explore the option of becoming the College's third undergraduate society if the task force makes such a recommendation, Malinowski said.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton created the task force, which was chaired by Head of the College's Health Service Dr. Jack Turco and Emily Jones '95, to examine the problems caused by alcohol at the College.

Malinowski said the group will take no action towards becoming an undergraduate society in the summer and currently has "no plans at all for this."

The two main benefits to becoming an undergraduate society are gaining a physical plant and more sources offunding, Malinowski said.

An undergraduate society is similar to a Greek organization with no rush or pledge period. If Asgard became an undergraduate society, freshmen and members of Coed Fraternity Sorority organizations would no longer be allowed to join the group.

"I have a very hard time believing we would grow as an organization if we excluded two-thirds of the student population," Malinowski said.

This summer Asgard has 10 active members on-campus, he said. The group had 25 to 30 members Spring term. Panarchy and Amarna are currently the two undergraduate societies at the College.