Secret Service guarantees a safe presidential visit

Although most people who live in Hanover consider it to be a safe town, the Secret Service still has a tough job to do when they prepare the small New Hampshire town for a visit by the President.

According to Dave Adams, spokesperson for the Secret Service, the government never releases any information about security issues to the public. Adams did say however, "that without the cooperation and support of the state, local and campus police, our task of protecting President Clinton would be extremely difficult."

Adams said the Secret Service receives many phone calls pertaining to security issues, and as a policy, the Secret Service do not discuss security measures about Presidential visits in order to achieve effective security.

Adams would not comment about any rumors circulating campus that there will be police in every dorm room.

To help control the anticipated crowds at Memorial Field, Public Programs released a set of guidelines. Although guests are permitted to bring video equipment to the stadium, extra carrying cases are highly discouraged, as is the transport of any unnecessary metal devices which can delay security at the gates. In addition, guests will not be permitted to bring personal safety items such as pocket knives, mace and firearms.

Once inside the stadium, guests will not be allowed to exit and reenter except for emergencies. Restrooms and beverages will be provided for comfort.