Greek 'white paper' is unfinished

by Colin Grey | 6/27/95 5:00am

College officials are still waiting for the "thought piece" on the Greek system that former Student Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 promised to have ready by the Trustee meeting at the beginning of this month.

Although Sichitiu broadly outlined her ideas before three Trustees when they came to Dartmouth for the Commencement ceremonies, both Trustees and College administrators say they have yet to see a copy of her written statement.

"We haven't received it yet," Trustee Joe Mathewson, who chairs the Board's Committee on Student Affairs, said. "She said she will deliver it to us very shortly."

Trustees Mathewson, Peter Fahey, and David Shribman, as well as Dean of the College Lee Pelton and Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco, all heard Sichitiu informally sketch out her ideas at the meeting in early June.

Among other suggestions, Sichitiu recommended a two-year review of the College's so-called Coed Fraternity Sorority system, with the aim of creating an array of stricter standards Greek houses would have to meet, Turco said.

Pelton also said Sichitiu mentioned such standards could include tougher requirements for the upkeep of a Greek house's physical plant.

"In general, what she was trying to convey was that the standards by which the CFS is judged ought to be, to use the vernacular, ratcheted up," Pelton said.

Sichitiu, who is scheduled to soon begin 15 months of travelling abroad, could not be reached for comment at her home in Ojai, Calif.

"We're interested and we're hoping she can find some time in the next few weeks to talk to us about her conclusions," Mathewson said.

Late last term, Sichitiu announced she was writing her so-called "white paper," named after the statements of policy issued by British Prime Ministers issue whenever they have strong feelings on a particular issue.

"[I have] always been concerned with the impact of the fraternity system on the intellectual and social climate of the college, specifically ... with the role it plays in creating an environment that is hostile towards women, students of color and gay, lesbian and bisexual students," Sichitiu told The Dartmouth last month.

Sichitiu said then that some of the topics she meant to address in her paper included CFS programming, the relationship between historically black fraternities and other Greek houses, the differences between fraternities and sororities and coed houses, the role of alcohol in the system as well as the rush process.

Sichitiu said last term she would release her statement, gleaned from interviews with close to 30 Greek leaders, to the College community.

Advertise your student group in The Dartmouth for free!