Some predict turmoil in next year's Assembly

Following a year plagued with politicking, infighting and inefficiency in the Student Assembly, the prognosis for next year's Assembly does not appear to be much better unless Assembly President-elect Jim Rich '96 and Assembly Vice President-elect Kelii Opulauoho '96 can work out their differences and grow to respect one another.

Fissures are already appearing in next year's Assembly, as Rich and Opulauoho have disagreed on several issues.

"Given the difficult beginning of [Jim's and Kelii's] relationship, their mutual respect and friendship can only dramatically increase from this point," said Hosea Harvey '95, chair of the Student Assembly External Review Committee.

Rich freely admits he and Opulauoho have their differences.

"But like any rational people, we're going to have differences," Rich said.

"We've come to a consensus on many issues and we plan to come to a consensus on future issues," he said.

Opulauoho was not available to comment.

Can they work together?

One Assembly insider, who did not wish to be identified, said Rich and Opulauoho have yet to demonstrate that they can work together.

"It doesn't seem at all like they are a team -- it seems like they both have their own agenda and vision for Assembly," he said. "I think they lack a unified focus."

The Assembly insider said he has observed some animosity between the two in their public dealings. "From what I have observed, it seems that they don't have a very amicable relationship," the insider said.

At Thursday's Assembly meeting to vote on the changes proposed by the External Review Committee, Rich and Opulauoho sat at opposite ends of the table. The insider, who attended the meeting, said the two consulted each other only once during the four-hour meeting.

"I would speculate [that the reason they rarely consulted is] that reforms give more power to the president than the current constitution," he said. "I would speculate that Kelii can't be too happy about that."

The source said when discussion began on the proposal to have presidents and vice presidents run on a ticket, Opulauoho rolled his eyes and began whispering to someone next to him.

Opulauoho ran on a ticket with Phil Ferrera '96, who was defeated by Rich.

"It seems like they're divided in their respective missions and don't necessarily see eye to eye on what course the Assembly should take," the Assembly insider said.

But Rich said he and Opulauoho have agreed on the direction the Assembly will head next year.

"I think you're going to see the Student Assembly take a different direction in that ... instead of dealing with mostly political issues -- such as Playboy -- the Student Assembly instead is going to deal with more substantive, service-oriented issues ... to make the day-to-day life of students much better," he said.

One example of a more substantive issue, Rich said, would be the expansion of the safe rides program. The safe rides program provides rides for students across campus late at night.

Tom Franks '98, a member of next year's Assembly, said both Rich and Opulauoho have different ideas. Franks said he thinks the two will "press their ideas to the extent they can" and then work together to achieve them.

Grace Chionuma '96, also a member of next year's Assembly, said though Rich has an agenda, it is not set in stone. She also said she thinks Rich and Opulauoho can work together.

"I think they compliment each other," Chionuma said.

Respect in the Assembly

Other Assembly members warned that Rich and Opulauoho must also cultivate respect among the general Assembly if they hope to achieve their goals.

"There is a potential for problems," current Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97 said.

"The members of the Assembly may have a hard time gelling together. I don't know if respect has been developed among Assembly members," he said.

Ferrera said Rich may have a hard time finding support in the general Assembly next year because many of the members and officers ran on a slate organized byFerrera and Opulauoho.

Rich "is divorced from any constituency on the general Assembly," Ferrera said. "He is basically going to have to follow the general Assembly in what it wants to do."

Rich said he and the general Assembly will have to work to "establish some respect and establish a working relationship. I've never been involved with Student Assembly. They're a very insular group."

Ferrera said general Assembly members perceive a difference in someone coming in with a "powerful mandate" and someone coming in with a sense of"naivete."

Opulauoho won his election by 448 more votes than his closest competitor, Bill Tovell '96. More students voted for Opulauoho than any other presidential or vice-presidential candidate.

"I am very aware of the politics that go on in the Student Assembly, and I am also aware that the type of politics that have gone on in the past have to be scratched," Rich said. "No, I would not say that I am naive."

The future

Assembly member Ben Hill '98 said Assembly members have confidence the Assembly will have a successful year, "despite what some people have been saying about them not getting on well together."

"I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that they have different opinions on almost every issue," Hill said. "Things have been as smooth as they could be."

The Assembly insider said it will be possible for Rich and Opulauoho to work together, as long as they respect each other.

"I'm entirely optimistic that Jim and Kelii will be able to reconcile whatever differences they might have at this point and help to create an Assembly that is more responsible and more effective," he said.

Rich said he has a "great deal of respect for Kelii."

"He seems like a genuine man, someone who is concerned about certain issues and wants to bring them to the forefront of debate in the Dartmouth community," Rich said.