Posters hung supporting Stephens after allegations

David Gonzalez '95 hung posters around campus yesterday in support of Emily Stephens '97, who alleged last week that the College mishandled a sexual abuse complaint she filed last year.

Gonzalez said he hung somewhere between 50 and 100 posters around campus. One poster, hung on the entrance to McNutt Hall, read, "Emily Stephens '97 put herself, her reputation, and her security on the line. Why? Why would somebody risk that? Think about it."

Stephens claimed the College persuaded her to resolve the sexual abuse complaint through mediation, rather than a Committee on Standards hearing. She also said she was coerced into signing a mediation agreement and received unfair treatment during the month-and-a-half the College handled her complaint.

College administrators denied most of Stephens' accusations, saying they think they handled the case fairly.

Gonzalez, a friend of Stephens, said he was motivated to hang the posters because "I think there are people who would normally support her case who are not supporting it because it was reported in The Dartmouth Review."

The same day The Dartmouth reported Stephens' accusations, a story about the allegations ran in The Review, the off-campus conservative weekly.

"People need to show support for" Stephens, Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez said he was concerned women who heard Stephens' story, which he described as a "worst-case scenario," would be deterred from reporting incidences of sexual abuse.

Gonzalez said he will take further action on the matter, but would not disclose what his plans are.

Stephens said people often wonder what to do after hearing a story like hers.

"I really appreciated David's posters because it kind of broke the ice," she said.

Stephens said she does not want people to be afraid to speak out about issues, like sexual abuse.

"I want people to know," she said. "I want the issue to be out there, to be discussed."