Portrait of an economist

World-renowned economist and Harvard University professor John Kenneth Galbraith does not lose too much sleep worrying about people who do not agree with his more controversial ideas.

"I take it for granted that some people will be wrong," Galbraith said of those who disagree with him. "That is their First Amendment privilege."

During a 20-minute interview with The Dartmouth yesterday, the 86-year-old economist talked about his past and addressed many economic issues affecting the nation today. Galbraith, a champion of the left for decades, also lashed out at many Republican economic proposals.

Galbraith was a key adviser to President John F. Kennedy and was Ambassador to India from 1961 to 1963. He said the key to deficit reduction is reducing military spending and minimizing tax cuts.

"We will always have a national debt," Galbraith said. "It hasn't grown substantially in relation to the economy."

Galbraith is a strong supporter of President Bill Clinton and said he thinks Clinton is leading the country in the right direction although he said he would have handled some issues differently.

"I prefer him to any alternative," he said. "I would have pressed harder on some more of the essential issues like health care."

Although Galbraith supports Clinton, he said he no longer serves as an economic policy consultant for the government.

"My consulting days are over --everyone will be glad to know," Galbraith said jokingly.

Galbraith said the biggest problem facing the country today is unemployment combined with the plight of the poor in large cities. He expressed sympathy for the poor and unemployed and blasted Congressional Republicans for failing to deal with the problem.

"This is not something the Republicans in Congress are concerned with," Galbraith said, invoking the stereotype that Republicans are a party of the rich. "We have to keep them from reducing the capital gains tax and aiding the rich."

With his abundant knowledge of American politics, many people wonder why Galbraith never chose to run for public office. Galbraith said he was offered the nomination to run as Vermont's Democratic candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in the late 1960s.

He weighed the offer for several weeks but ultimately decided not to run because he would have taken away the opportunity from an African-American Congressional candidate and did not want people to think he was a racist.

Galbraith has written numerous books including "The Affluent Society" and "The New Industrial State," which sold more than 1 million copies. He is currently working on a new book, "The Good Society," which will be published next year, he said.

"Everyone talks about what is wrong with society -- this book talks about what is right and achievable," he said. "It's not utopian -- I want to emphasize that."

Ever the ardent Democrat, Galbraith cautioned against current Republican economic proposals such as presidential candidate and Indiana Senator Richard Lugar's idea to abolish the income tax and implement a flat national sales tax in its place.

"Those who propose abolishing the income tax are in blatant support of the rich," he said. "Taxes are the price we pay for civilization and the income tax is the price we pay for a more equitable society."

Galbraith said his friendship with Bernard Nossiter '49 was an influential part of his life. Galbraith was on campus to give the inaugural lecture for the Bernard D. Nossiter Journalism Prize.