Pelton to announce administrators

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said he will soon announce the College's plans to address concerns presented by two minority groups that have asked the College for additional support and resources on campus.

Dartmouth Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Organization co-Chair Earl Plante '94 said Winter term that the College tentatively planned to hire two new administrators, one to advise the gay, lesbian and bisexual community and one to advise the Latino community.

Pelton said yesterday he would not comment on how the College plans to address the needs of the two communities, but said he would use existing resources to address their needs.

"Our policy will be to, as a matter of principle, support all students for them to achieve their potential," he said.

"Any decisions on this issue in particular will be made with this in mind," he said. "We are committed to providing adequate resources for all students to thrive."

Plante said yesterday he has submitted proposals, including job descriptions, to Pelton for both an administrator and a counselor at Dick's House to support the College's gay, lesbian and bisexual community.

"We are very optimistic about getting both," Plante said. "We are waiting anxiously for Dean Pelton's decision."

Plante previously told The Dartmouth that an administrator would have four main responsibilities: outreach, education, advocacy and programming.

Former La Alianza Latina President Ana Henderson '94 could not be reached for comment.