Palaeopitus chooses members

Palaeopitus, an organization of senior campus leaders who advise the College President and Dean of the College, selected new members and announced revisions to its constitution Sunday night.

The new members include juniors Panhellenic Council President Dani Brune, Junior Class President Brendan Doherty, President's Office Intern Monica Oberkofler, Coed Fraternity Sorority Council President Matt Raben, Student Assembly President Jim Rich and President of The Dartmouth Justin Steinman.

This year's delegation also includes four ex-officio organizational representatives: former La Alianza President Ramyar Cruz, former Afro-American Society Vice President Shakari Cameron, Cassie Ehrenberg, who works for the Women's Resource Center, and Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance member Matt Silvia.

According to Palaeopitus' new constitution, the group's purpose is "to encourage working harmony among the various campus organizations, facilitate communication between undergraduates and the College administration and to promote the welfare of Dartmouth and protect her good name."

Claire Unis '95, a member of Palaeopitus, said the members removed a clause from the constitution that stated an additional purpose, "to preserve the customs and traditions of Dartmouth."

"We felt it was not an appropriate charge for us to keep," Unis said.

This year's members also changed the guidelines for selecting new members.

Candice Jimerson '95, Spring term chair of Palaeopitus, said four ex-officio positions were added from two categories.

"We added two from ethnic and affinity groups and two from larger group organizations such as the Women's Resource Center, the Dartmouth Outing Club, religious organizations or DaGLO," now the DRA, Jimerson said.

"We made these changes because previously the ex-officio positions always included someone from AAm, and it was thought to be unfair to have this while the other ethnic groups were growing in numbers," she said.

"And we also changed it so that the members do not have to be the president of their organization, but active members who have shown leadership abilities," she said.

Jimerson said Palaeopitus also added a group of "at-large" members: Ping-Ann Addo, John Barros, Eran BenDavid '97, Lisa Cain-Perkins, Grace Chionuma, Tim Cross, Kirsten Doolittle, Sue Kim and Federico Rivera '95.

Jimerson said the "at-large" members do not necessarily represent one organization but were selected based on overall leadership activities around campus.