ORL has small wait-list

One year after the College narrowly avoided a potentially massive housing crisis, there are only 96 students on the wait-list for Fall term housing, according to Director of Housing Services Lynn Rosenblum.

When housing assignments came out about two weeks ago, 132 students were on the wait-list, Rosenblum said.

"Things look good," she said, but added she is not sure if every student who is on the wait-list will be able to get housing this fall.

Rosenblum said it is hard to predict whether there will be a housing crunch.

"This is my third year here, and there has been a wait-list every fall," she said. It is "very difficult to say what the enrollment patterns will be next fall."

But Rosenblum did say things are "getting better," and that she is optimistic that the College should be able to manage enrollment.

Last May, more than 400 students were wait-listed for Fall term housing. The wait-list stood at 278 in July, but after offering numerous incentives to get students to take Fall term off, the College was able to house all students who remained on the wait-list.

In an attempt to ameliorate the housing problem, the College changed its housing assignment procedure this year.

Instead of receiving priority numbers for both clusters and rooms, students now receive one housing priority number, with seniors getting the best numbers and sophomores getting the worst.

Although the plan sent many worried members of the Class of 1998 scrambling to find off-campus housing, Associate Dean of Residential Life Bud Beatty said the plan worked well.