College, town prepare for Green Key

With Green Key Weekend upon us, the College and the town of Hanover have been preparing for an expected increase in activities and large inflow of people.

According to Rebel Roberts, Safety and Security crime prevention officer, there is often a significant increase in the numbers of people on campus.

"It depends on what's happening on campus and on other variables such as the weather and what's going on at other campuses," Roberts said.

During Green Key there will be an increase in the number of Safety and Security personnel.

"Student Activity organizations ask for personnel for their special events so we will have additional personnel available for Green Key," Roberts said.

Safety and Security also takes other precautions for Green Key, including posting bulletins in residential clusters explaining the dangers that often accompany a large weekend.

"We usually have an increase in incidents," Roberts said.

Two years ago, Safety and Security reported eleven cases of inebriety, five of alcohol possession by a minor and three cases of disorderly conduct.

Last year, ........dont have these numbers yet b/c safety and security hasnt gotten back to me.

The Hanover Police Department also takes certain precautions for Green Key. "There is a moderate increase in incidents during Green Key," Acting Police Chief Nick Giaccone said.

"Most of the incidents are alcohol related, especially possession by a minor," he said.

In comparison to Homecoming and Winter Carnival weekends, Giacone said Green Key is the one with fewest incidents.

"Last year's Green Key weekend was fairly quiet," Giaccone said.

The police department will make some formal preparations for the weekend. "The only thing we do is to boost the evening shifts of Friday and Saturday by one or two men," Giaccone said.

Hanover's businesses are also preparing for Green Key, but they note it may not be as active as other large College weekends.

Brenda Griffin, a night-time supervisor at Stinson's Village Store, considers Green Key weekend a "bigger weekend than most, although it's about the same as Winter Carnival and Homecoming."

With regard to profits, "we only make a little bit more net profit because the profit margin on a keg is extremely low," he said.

Earl Heath, the owner of Beverage King in West Lebanon, finds it difficult to distinguish profits from Green Key from other large weekends.

Charlie Dowd, owner of Everything but Anchovies', sees Green Key as "quite a bit busier."

"We have about 40% more demand than normal but it's still only 80% of Homecoming and Winter Carnival," he said. "We have extra food and extra help but we haven't made up our mind about staying open extra time."