Canoe Club celebrates 75th anniversary

The Student Assembly External Review Committee met with members of this year's and next year's Assembly Sunday night to discuss their views of the Assembly's role on campus.

The groups debated how the Assembly should admit new members, how to improve communications between the Assembly and the student body and how much power the president should hold.

The review committee, chaired by Class of 1995 Vice President Hosea Harvey, was formed at the beginning of the term and charged with reviewing the current structure of the Assembly and providing recommendations for improving its communication with the student body and the way it addresses student needs.

The Assembly is scheduled to vote on the review committee's proposals on May 16.

Several Assembly members voiced objection to the current policy of admitting new members once they have attended three meetings, involved themselves with a project and received approval from the Nominations Committee.

Assembly President-elect Jim Rich '96 called the current policy "a rubber stamp process" that hurts the credibility of the Assembly.

Harvey asked Assembly members how students who join the Assembly of their own accord could be made responsible to a constituency.

Sarah Johnston '97 said, "Making the Assembly some hyper-exclusive group is not the answer." She said students who show up to three meetings and become involved with a project show real effort and deserve to be on the Assembly.

Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 pointed out that many members of the current Assembly joined via the three-meeting process. She recommended drawing new members from each first-year class, having students elect about 10 at-large members and having specific ex-officio positions.

She said ex-officio members could represent affinity groups and undergraduate organizations.

Rich said if ex-officio Assembly seats existed, they should not only represent members of affinity groups, but also members of the Greek system.

Many members said it is vital for the Assembly to improve its communication with students. Currently, Harvey said a "lack of information is prevalent throughout the student body."

In a poll conducted by the review committee the day after student elections almost 50 percent of students could not identify Rich as next year's Assembly president.

"To gain credibility, we need to improve communications," Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97 said. He said the Assembly currently is dependent on The Dartmouth for its publicity.

Some Assembly members expressed chagrin over members who may work hard to complete projects, but did not receive the same recognition as those who debate proposals before the general Assembly.

"You can go to all the meetings, but do nothing," Meredith Epstein '97 said. She and others said the current system does not adequately encourage members to work hard.

Sichitiu said 90 to 95 percent of all of the Assembly's motions have been drafted by three people -- Grace Chionuma '96, Honovich and herself.

She said she finds this disappointing and wants other members of the Assembly to be more assertive.

Harvey said the committee will work with Rich to change the Assembly's constitution, because "he's going to be the final arbiter" of any changes it accomplishes.