Asgard may become an undergraduate society

Asgard, a student group dedicated to providing nonalcoholic programming, is thinking about becoming the College's third undergraduate society, according to Keith Lavigne '95, a former executive officer for the group.

A task force co-chaired by Emily Jones '95 and Health Services Director Dr. Jack Turco to comprehensively evaluate alcohol at the College will recommend that Asgard become an undergraduate society, Lavigne said.

Although most of Asgard's officers declined to comment about the organization's future, Lavigne said Asgard held a special meeting Tuesday night to discuss the fate of the meeting.

At the meeting "we were trying to put together something to tell the task force," he said. "We may or may not sway the task force."

Currently, Asgard has no classification as a Coed Fraternity Sorority organization or as an undergraduate society.

"Basically we are a group of students who do programming but have no physical plant," Lavigne said.

Asgard has little involvement with Butterfield residence hall, the College's substance-free dormitory, Lavigne said.

"Lots of students see Asgard and Butterfield as related, but that is not true," he said.

Lavigne said becoming an undergraduate society would have a major impact on Asgard, because then it could lobby for its own physical plant.

"Right now most of our programming is going on at central locations," Lavigne said. "If we become an undergraduate society, our house would be at the end of fraternity row or down past Kappa Kappa Gamma and Amarna."

An undergraduate society is similar to a Greek organization with no rush or pledge period. If Asgard became an undergraduate society, freshmen and members of other CFS organizations would no longer be allowed to be part of the organization.

Lavigne said Asgard will probably decide next week at its Tuesday meeting whether it will continue to exist in its present form.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton, who said he has not heard about Asgard becoming an undergraduate society, said he supports the concept of an alcohol-free undergraduate society.

"The concept of another undergraduate society appeals to me because I think we need to continue our efforts in providing options for students socially and residentially," he said.

Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco said, "In general, if students were interested we would certainly consider the proposal."

Panarchy broke free of the Greek system two years ago to become the College's first undergraduate society. Amarna was formed last year.