SA execs call for look at advising

The Student Assembly executive committee drafted two resolutions at its meeting last night and Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 announced some of her plans for the Spring term.

But Sichitiu refused to release her comprehensive agenda for the Spring term, which will be her last term in office.

The first resolution passed by the Executive Committee suggests a task force to examine the student advising system. The second resolution asks the administration to release College information relevant to student needs.

Both resolutions will be brought to the general Assembly on Tuesday night.

The advising task force resolution, sponsored by Meredith Epstein '97, calls for "a major upheaval of the present system," said Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97.

The task force will be comprised of "three students, three faculty members and four administrators," according to a draft of the resolution.

Sichitiu said Dartmouth could have a very effective advising system because it is a small school.

"At a place like Berkeley, we couldn't talk about advising," she said. "But here we can. Here it would be mining an already existing resource."

The other resolution asks the College "to release all information to the student body relevant to campus debate in the name of responsible debate and freedom of information."

Honovich said one reason the resolution was drafted is that the Assembly would like more information on College finance.

"Students have a right to know where their money is spent," he said.

Honovich said the measure will give the Assembly clout when it seeks information from administrators.

"In the future when the Assembly needs to do research, we'll have it on record that the Assembly is behind this," he said. The motion is sponsored by Assembly Communications co-Chair Brandon Del Pozo '96.

In an interview last night, Sichitiu also discussed some of her goals for the Spring term.

"I'd like to investigate the lack of equity for women's resources," Sichitiu said.

Sichitiu cited the Women's Resource Center's location in the Choates dormitory cluster as evidence that the center is "marginalized" on campus.

Sichitiu said she will seek relocation of the Women's Resource Center to a "women's issues dorm" that she would like to create.

Sichitiu said she wants to investigate "the lack of equity to women of color and gays and lesbians."

She said most of these problems originate with the Greek system.

"The Greek system is a source of abuse and violence to women," Sichitiu said.

Sichitiu said the 25th anniversary of coeducation would be an appropriate time to examine these women's issues.

Sichitiu declined comment on the Assembly's agenda for spring.

"We want to wait and put that in the Student Assembly newsletter," she said.