Russell Sage will be renovated

Facilities Operations and Management plans to renovate Butterfield and Russell Sage residence halls this summer, pending College budget approval.

Director of Residential Operations Woody Eckels said the renovations to Russell Sage and Butterfield would be similar to work done on the Fayerweather residence hall last summer.

"The plans haven't been finalized yet," said Steve Mischissin, assistant director for engineering and utilities.

If the plan receives approval, Mischissin said Russell Sage and Butterfield would be completely shut down near the end of June. The construction would be finished when students return to school in September, he said.

The upgrades would include a sprinkler system, new lighting and carpeting in the rooms and hallways and new telephone and computer wiring, Mischissin said.

Eckels said the cluster's backup battery generator would be replaced with a more cost-effective propane generator.

Mischissin said Facilities Operations and Management also plans to construct a new steam pipe into Thornton Hall and a new steam pipe between Wentworth Hall and North Fayerweather Hall this summer.

The Facilities Planning Office will also start other major renovation projects this summer. Director of Facilities Planning Gordie DeWitt said a "top-to-bottom renovation" of Robinson Hall will start in early August.

The renovation will include an addition near the rear of the building, the installation of an elevator and stairway and the building of another floor.

DeWitt said he hopes the construction of the new $19 million Psychology building will be underway by next Spring term.

The Board approved the building's construction at its meeting in the fall.

The building will allow the Psychology department to reunite after 19 years of separation.