Pipes: Webster to close in winter; Administration continues to search for more programming space

Renovations to convert Webster Hall into a special collections library will probably begin next winter, despite recent controversy over the building's future, according to Deputy Provost Bruce Pipes.

In order for construction to commence on the new $30 million Berry Library, the College's Special Collections must be moved from its current location in Baker Library.

"The whole renovation of Berry Library has as one of its components moving Special Collections to Webster Hall," Pipes said. "And we'll have quite a bit of work to do preparing Webster Hall."

The renovations will involve constructing four or five floors of stacks as well as desks and chairs for students, Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt told The Dartmouth last January.

Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia said she anticipates Special Collections will move into Webster as soon as fundraising for the project is completed.

Pipes said the College has raised almost half of the $10 million needed for the conversion.

But Student Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 said she still thinks the administration will "debate about whether or not to commence construction next winter."

"The administration is really concerned about the [loss of programming space], which makes it look to me like they're going to move on it," Sichitiu said.

Sateia said she is not aware of any plans that would stop Special Collections from moving into Webster.

"If you went down to the Facilities Planning office, there are actually drawings of what [Webster] will look like," Sateia said.

Sateia said construction of a new programming facility to replace Webster is also unlikely.

"The new facility would have to get in line behind a lot of facilities that are already on the list," Sateia said. "I know that is not what we are considering right now."

Pipes said Webster will continue to provide space for medium-size programming events through Fall term.

The College is still searching for space that could fulfill Webster's programming function after the conversion of Webster, Pipes added.

"I'm not sure we'll be able to find a single space, but we are trying to continue the student programming. And we will try very hard," Pipes said.

Special Collections Director Philip Cronenwett said, "In my opinion, the process has gone on so long ... that stopping the move to Webster Hall is nearly impossible."

The controversy over closing Webster Hall began when the Assembly passed a resolution in January. The resolution called for the College to either find an alternative storage space for Baker Library's Special Collections or to provide students with a new programming facility of comparable size.

Webster "combines a social space and intense intellectual events," Sichitiu told The Dartmouth in January. "It's one of the only places on campus where we can do this."