New journal to publish

Two juniors have started a journal that will publish academic works dedicated to feminist issues, the College's second publication aimed at addressing women's concerns.

The journal, Intersections, will present a comprehensive view of feminism by publishing papers written by students in Women's Studies and other courses, according to founders Cassie Ehrenberg '96 and Shilyh Warren '96.

"Intersections will recognize the excellent feminist scholarship produced throughout the Dartmouth curriculum," Ehrenberg and Warren wrote in an electronic-mail message.

Professors teaching courses pertinent to the journal's focus will recommend papers.

The College's other women's issues publication, Spare Rib, was started in 1992.

French Professor Marianne Hirsch, who helped Ehrenberg and Warren organize the journal, said, "Everyone has different ideas about what feminism is. This will show them what it is in actuality."

Professors will be asked to contribute to the journal to try to build a stronger connection with students, Ehrenberg and Warren wrote.

Hirsch said the journal "will also increase the bond between students and faculty since professors can read the journal and see what students are interested in and maybe include it in their syllabi.

"Potentially, it will let students know the level and kind of feminist thought and work that goes on in Women's Studies," she said.

Ehrenberg and Warren said the journal will also include reviews, interviews and articles that focus on feminist topics.

They added that they anticipate the production and distribution of Intersections will provide a connection between campus organizations that deal with gender issues.

Hirsch said, "It will allow people to find commonalities in their beliefs."