June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Lesure '97 pleads guilty, fined $200

Sarah LeSure '97 pleaded guilty to the charge of giving false information to the Hanover Police Department and was fined $200 in Hanover District Court yesterday.

LeSure waived her right to counsel at her arraignment. Judge Joseph Daschbach suspended $100 of the fine and gave LeSure the option of substituting 10 hours of community service for the other $100.

LeSure will have to pay a $20 penalty on the suspended part of the fine.

Hanover Police Officer John Kapusta placed LeSure in protective custody on Monday, April 10, when she was allegedly found intoxicated.

LeSure was arrested a week later when Hanover Police charged she had given them a false name when she was placed in custody the week before.

LeSure could not be reached for comment.

Providing "a false report to law enforcement" is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum fine of $2,000.

Although the police refused to disclose the name LeSure used, Jackie Schutt '96 said LeSure gave the police her name.

Schutt said she and LeSure are acquaintances and both members of Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority.

Schutt told The Dartmouth that she thinks LeSure gave the police her name because Schutt has been in trouble with the police before and they are both brunettes.

Hanover Police Officer Darryl Zampieri said similar incidents are infrequent, but he did not believe LeSure's offense was unique.

Schutt said she was surprised the police believed the fake name.

"I was ...shocked that they could make themselves so ridiculous," she said in an electronic-mail message. "And the more I thought about their stupidity, the more I blamed them rather than Sarah LeSure."