Koestner addresses rape

Katie Koestner, a recent graduate of the College of William and Mary, recounted her personal experience as a rape victim in a speech last night and urged the audience to "yell and scream" to make America more aware of the problem of rape.

"My goal is to inspire you," Koestner said in her address to about 55 students in Cook Auditorium. Her speech, "First Mourn. Then Work for Change," was part of a series of speeches for Sexual Assault Awareness Week.

Koestner, now 22, said she was raped during her third week as a freshman at William & Mary by another student whom she had known for only 10 days.

Since the incident, she has given lectures at high schools and universities across the country and has been featured on the cover of Time Magazine.

"I am angry because I went to all these colleges and found out that they are not following the policies and most students are not aware of them," she said.

"You must get administrators and politicians aware", she said. "You have to yell and scream. You can't say it nicely, or they're not going to listen."

She passionately told the audiences about her experiences at her college after she was raped.

"After two days I went to health services," she said. "There was no doctor, only a nurse. The nurse gave me a small pill and told me to get some sleep."

"Then I went to the dean, who just said that I seemed very upset and I should go home and think about it before making such a serious accusation," she said.

Koestner then said she went to the police who asked her about "everything --what I wore, what color, was it silk and finally asked if I 'was any good.'"

Her attacker, who she said admitted at a hearing she resisted his advances repeatedly, was prohibited from entering her residence hall again. He was never convicted of raping Koestner.

Koestner explained to the audience the three different ways she worked for change in politics and attitudes about rape.

The first way, she said, was reactive. Koestner worked with rape victims, and focused on getting the victims to admit they had been raped.

"We have to make women stronger to do this," she said. "We have to empower rape victims and get them out of their shell."

The next step Koestner took was to try to change policies, both at colleges and in Washington, D.C. She testified before Congress to implement and enforce the Sexual Assault Bill of Rights.

The third stage, she said, was proactive. Koestner toured high schools and colleges around the country educating students about sexual assault. Within this third stage of education, she stressed communication, responsibility and respect.

"It's not just a male communication problem -- women don't communicate enough either," she said.

Koestner urged the audience that individual action can change things.

"You have to go out there and raise Cain. Fight for what you want," she said. "I am not superwoman, I'm just like you."

"I know what it is like to be high-powered and to have lots of things to do," she said. "But I don't think Rosa Parks ever let a little harassment push her off the bus to work."

"You have to risk a little bit to make progress," she said.