Baseball begins home stand today

The Dartmouth baseball team plays host to five key games at Red Rolfe Field this weekend, beginning at three this afternoon against Maine.

On Friday at noon, Dartmouth (3-5 in the Ivy League) will play its first of two crucial doubleheaders against Red Rolfe Division rival Brown (2-6). According to closer David Stefanowicz '97, the team's performance this weekend will be crucial to its playoff hopes.

"In all reality, we would like to be in a better position than we are [going into the series], but the way that we've battled back in the last couple games has to give us confidence for the series against Brown."

Dartmouth split its doubleheaders against Princeton and Cornell last weekend, thanks to clutch pitching appearances from starters Eric Walania '98 and Travis Farrel '98.

A strong weekend against Brown could bring the team closer to contention in the Red Rolfe Division, led by perennial powerhouse, Yale.

Junior co-Captain Greg Gilmer, who demolished the Bear's pitching last year, hitting safely in 10 of 14 at bats, sees the weekend as a turning point for the team.

"There are definitely going to be some high spirits this weekend. This has historically been a really intense series and we are going to be up for it."

Cleanup hitter and third baseman Jake Isler '96 agreed. "This is a make or break weekend for us if we want to contend for the Ivy League title."

Dartmouth continues the four-game battle with Brown on Saturday, with the first pitch of the doubleheader set for 12:00 p.m.

Diamond Notes

First baseman and co-Captain Todd Seneker '95 made the Ivy League Honor Roll this week, going 5 for 10 with five runs scored to raise his team-leading batting average to a hefty .435.

Rookie Catcher Mike Stacy '98 continued on his hitting tear in four games against Princeton and Cornell, with four hits in eight plate appearances and three runs batted in.