June 3, 2024 | Latest Issue

'Assassin,' where everyone can kill

Sixteen students are currently lurking around campus with guns concealed in their pockets, ready to hunt down their next victims.

But there is no secret military mission taking place, and you need not fear for your life or safety. The students are only playing a game called "Assassin," where the object is to eliminate all of your enemies with a water gun.

So far, 46 students have been "killed" in the campus-wide game.

The game, organized by Dan Mazzucco '98, started more than two weeks ago. Each participant paid a two dollar entry fee and then received a card that assigned them a random student to "kill" with the squirt of a water gun.

When a person is "killed," he or she is out of the game, according to Mazzucco. Those who survive are assigned another person to "kill." The last person standing and the person with the most kills each get a portion of the $122 collected in entry fees.

Mazzucco advertised the game over electronic mail and managed to get 62 people to join the game.

Victor Shafor '98, who is still alive in the game, said although Assassin does trivialize violence, he does not have a problem with it.

"Assassin gives people the chance to work out all their James Bond fantasies and complexes, so they walk around with water guns like idiots and hide behind bushes and dodge around corners," he said.

"A water gun gives people the chance to act on aggressions they normally can't act on. I know I feel better everytime I soak someone whether they are playing or not," he said.

According to Shafor, many of the players are "passive" assassins, who are not as enthusiastic about the game as others.

"It's the people who really love the hunt that win," he said.

Shafor said he is not afraid for his life because he knows who his assassin is.

"I'm not worried about him. I've gone ninja changing my schedule and sleeping at weird hours and everything," he said.

Tim White '98, who was eliminated last week, said, "Assassin adds a little excitement to the already bustling metropolis of Hanover."

White killed Cecilia Blasco '98 by posing as an delivery man from the Everything But Anchovies restaurant. He said he hid his Super Soaker water gun in the pizza box and knocked on her dormitory door.

White said he told Blasco her name was on the receipt of an EBA's order to lure her out into the hallway. Blasco, who insisted she did not order any pizza, stepped out of the door into the hallway to check the name on the receipt.

White then removed his water gun from the pizza box and squirted Blasco, much to her surprise.

According to Mazzucco's rules, a person can only be shot outside of his or her room and must be alone. Participants cannot be shot during class or in the gym.

White said he does not think Assassin really trivializes violence.

"I think if people are going to be desensitized of violence by this game, it already happened. It's just fun and games," he said.

Jon Davis '98 agreed with White's sentiments.

"It's a fun game," he said. "It gives you an excuse to shoot someone with a water gun."

Davis said there have been some daring adventures on assassin missions.

Davis described a friend who "did a lethal-weapon drop-roll to shoot someone. He put on a heroic effort, but, unfortunately, he died."

Some students, though, do not think that Assassin is all "just fun and games."

Max Swedlow '98, who did not play the game, said, "It's a waste of water. Everyday millions of people go thirsty and here we are at Dartmouth running around and shooting each other with water guns."

Swedlow said one of his friends was shot in Food Court by a woman who confused his friend for her intended victim.

Swedlow said after the woman squirted his friend in the face and he protested against the offense, she asked him for identification to prove that he was the wrong victim.

"It's a disgrace,What kind of lesson are we teaching the youth of America today?I mean, after all, we just celebrated Earth Day." he said.