Ambassadors discuss U.N.

Two ambassadors to the United Nations, Nitya Pibulsonggram '62 of Thailand and Peter Soals of South Africa, ended the two-day U.N. conference last night, offering a vision of the world organization's future.

Pibulsonggram, speaking to a full house in 105 Dartmouth, discussed the U.N.'s past and future.

"During the first two generations the U.N. has not been very successful," Pibulsonggram said.

The U.N. had been designed "to function in an imperfect manner," he said, but it was moving in the right direction.

Pibulsonggram said the U.N. must instill new values in its members and create a global culture.

"An agreement on goals among members is vital to its function," he said. "In essence the U.N. is designed to serve the greatest good of the greatest number."

Pibulsonggram said while the UN "has proclaimed internationally accepted norms" on many topics, it should focus on human security issues such as environmental security, food security and social development.

Soals discussed the future role of South Africa, a new member in the U.N. and other global organizations.

He said South Africa should participate in world affairs in a "watching role" and should gently ease "into the activities of these bodies."

"It's not to say that we will be playing a passive or languid role," Soals said. "We don't want to be seen as Big Brother."

Previously the South African government had portrayed the U.N. in an unfavorable light. But since the end of apartheid, its view has changed greatly, Soals said.

"In the new South Africa there is a strong commitment to human rights," Soals said. He said the South Africans now view the U.N. as a "custodian of human rights" rather than the inefficient and frivolous "talk shop" it had been portrayed as.

Anil Doshi '98 asked about the image held by some that the U.N. is a powerless organization dominated by the United States.

Pibulsonggram said that image was an "erroneous assumption" and described the U.N. as a powerful "legitimizer" among the countries of the world.

Soals said he was "enormously impressed" by the U.N. and the way it "permeates all aspects of human life."

A self-described mystic woman from Randolph, Vt., interrupted the question-and-answer session and made a 10-minute long statement on the Dalai Lama and his views on solving the human rights problems in China.

"He's an adorable man and I love him, but I can't agree with him," she said.