Skiers head to NCAA's

After a successful season of Carnival racing, the Dartmouth ski team is on its way to the NCAA competition in Mt. Washington Valley. The event, hosted by the University of New Hampshire, will take place from March 8-11.

By concentrating on improving the team as a whole, rather than only the top few individuals, the coaches do not always see immediate results of their efforts. But this year, they have.

Last year Captain Jesse James '95 was the only member of the women's alpine team who qualified for the NCAA's. Being the sole competitor for the Big Green had a negative effect on her skiing.

"Last year's NCAA's didn't go that well for me. I didn't ski as strong or smart as I had been and it was definitely a lot tougher to get psyched without anyone else there," she said.

James will not be alone this year at the national race. Kate Buhrmaster '97 came through for the Big Green when it counted the most by easily qualifying for this week's competition. Laura Turner '98 also qualified for the race.

"It'll be great having Kate and L.T. there," James said. "I think having three of us there will definitely add to everyone's individual confidence. We're looking forward to a fast week of skiing.".

J.P. Daigneault '97 also proved that freshmen do not finish last when he took first place in both the Slalom and Giant Slalom events at three Carnivals last season and qualified for the NCAAs.Teammates Ben Robinson '97, Jeremiah Thompson '96 and Captain Andy Martin '96 will join Daigneault..

"The team hasn't skied as solidly as it did last year in Carnivals, but we know that our skiing is getting better and better as we get closer to NCAA's," Daigneault said. "It was the opposite way around last year. We won every carnival but one and skied like ten-year-olds at Nationals."

The Nordic teams will also be an exciting group to watch at the NCAA's. With the loss of graduating seniors Liza Kiesler '94 and Jane Eckels '94, the women's team has managed to remain successful.

Captain Heather Eliassen '95 has consistently placed in the top ten at the Carnivals and should be a solid racer at the NCAA's. At her side in the races will be Denali Kemppel '96, Lara Burgel '96 and Valerie Wrenholt '97.

The men's cross-country teamwon nearly every one of the races it competed in this season and should prove to remain strong starting tomorrow as Colter Leys '96, Brant Stead '96, Paul Stone '98 and Captain Cory Smith '96 cross the finish line.

Last year, the Dartmouth Ski Team finished in eighth place at the NCAA's with 12 skiers.