Pelton, Reinders lose school board elections

Dean of the College Lee Pelton and Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders both lost elections for local district school board seats on March 14.

Pelton finished third out of four candidates in the Hanover School Board elections, six votes shy of a seat.

Pelton, who received 529 votes, said he was pleased with the outcome of the elections. "I think both of the people who won will do a really fine job," he said.

"The voters seemed to reject narrow, one-issue candidates," Pelton said, referring to Lee Ashmun, who finished last in the election with just 50 votes.

Ashmun, a retired physician, decided to enter the election after learning The Flirtations, an openly-homosexual a cappella group performed at the Bernice A. Ray Elementary School in Hanover. Ashmun said he was against such performances.

Reinders said despite an article in the Valley News to the contrary, she did not win a seat on the Lebanon District School Board.

Although she said she would have been pleased to serve on the board, she said, "those are the breaks."

During the weeks preceding the elections, the 28 leaders of the College's Coed Fraternity and Sorority organizations wrote a letter to the Valley News in support of Reinders.

"As assistant dean of residential life at Dartmouth College, she has shaped the lives of her students immeasurably, assisted us in communicating with the administration and championed our cause to others on campus," the letter stated.