Budding poets find a stage at the Dirt Cowboy

People scurrying here and there, papers being shuffled about, readers mumbling unintelligible verse to themselves as they sip coffee. "Is the mike on? Wait ... which button is it? Who wants to go first?"

If you've ever stopped by the Dirt Cowboy Cafe on a Thursday night around 8, this might be a typical scenario as people prepare for the weekly poetry readings.

This informal event, which officially took off at the beginning of this term, is the brainchild of a group of creative writing enthusiasts who wanted to create a relaxed atmosphere for sharing their work, getting feedback from peers, and giving amateur writers a chance to participate. It provides a laid -- back setting for people to share poetry -- both original and published works -- with others.

"This gives creative writing majors a chance to test their stuff," said creative writing major Andy Sargent '95, who is also involved with The Stonefence Review. Poems are "meant to be seen on a page, but also to be heard. This gives people a chance to see how their poem stands on its own."

"Poetry has an important place in people's lives. We spend so much time running about -- it's nice to have time once a week set aside for cultivating our more contemplative, spiritual side," said Sean Donahue '96, a creative writing major and co-founder of Wordthieves. Poetry promotes "a more spiritual way of thinking."

Sargent and Donahue, along with Stonefence Review editor Kevin Lapin '95 and Forum editor Iason Demos '97, were all instrumental in making this idea a reality.

"The poetry readings provide a wonderful creative outlet," said Nicole Wiley '98. Reading pieces aloud "breathes life into the poems. You sense the rhythm in the way the words flow together more clearly than you would from the printed page."

As customers drift in and out, Wiley, as the emcee, runs around asking who wants to read. No prior sign-up is necessary, and anyone is welcome to participate. Most readers are Dartmouth students, but in the past students from Hanover high school as well as Hanover residents have contributed their works.

Finally ready, Wiley approaches the mike and introduces Donahue -- a formality, really, since everyone there already knows him.

"I usually go around and get quotes from everyone for the introductions," said Wiley, "It's more interesting that way." But this week most of the readers are veterans, so she decides to do standard intros instead.

Donahue reads four works, most of which he has written himself. As he reads, his words seem to flow together, and his poems reveal very personal sentiments. One of them relays his thoughts on religion, with many references to nature. Another one, a piece he wrote a few years ago, he reads for old time's sake. He's been feeling down today, he says, and feels like sharing this poem.

Next, Victor Schafor '98 reads a piece by Joyce Carol Oates, and Wiley reads a poem about Shakespeare by John Milton. "We encourage original writing," said Wiley, "but of course people are welcome to read published works as well."

Then Sargent takes his place at the mike and reads a poem he's written about coming home for Christmas after his first term away at college. He reads a bit hesitantly, and upon sitting down proceeds to cross out lines here and there, scribbling notes in the margins. "It's still a little rough," he jokes.

Just as things are winding down, yet one more breathless reader rushes in. Brian Cina '98 reads an original poem he's been working on. After he finishes, he decides to read it again next week; maybe he'll work on it a little more between now and then.

The poetry readings give people an opportunity to share, revise, polish or simply read poetry and receive feedback from an audience of other amateur poets and writers. This is an event worth attending, even if only to listen or to read one of your favorite published poems. And if you're one of the brave souls who chooses to read an original work, even better.