Assembly questions whether College listens

The Student Assembly is the only group on campus that can supposedly represent the views of the entire student body to the administration, faculty and Board of Trustees.

But while administrators say they usually take the Assembly's recommendations into account when they make decisions, some Assembly members say their opinions are only considered when the administration agrees with them.

Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 said the Assembly's relationship with the administration varies from year to year because it is based on personal ties rather than the Assembly's structure.

"It's based more on personal relations," she said. "That's what everyone stresses when they run for office. They have experience within the Assembly and working with the administration."

Representing the students

While most administrators say they do take the Assembly's opinions into consideration, they also say they do not consider the Assembly to be the voice of the student body.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said he listens to the Assembly, but tries to gauge student opinion in other ways as well.

"I have also learned through experience that it is necessary to gauge the advice of students through other issues," he said, "through town meetings, through meetings I have with students in small residence halls."

Pelton said Assembly resolutions are just one of many factors that help affect change in the College community.

"It's kind of a mix of things that go into bringing about change in an institution of higher education," Pelton said. "A resolution is one higher part of a constellation of interests that bear on a particular concern."

Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco said she does not assume the Assembly's opinion is that of the student body.

"I wouldn't just assume that one piece of input from [the Student Assembly] necessarily represented the entire student body," she said.

But Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia, who acts as the adviser to the Assembly, said she thinks the student government is as representative as it can be.

"As with any organization, I think that the administration thinks they're representative as much as any group like that can be," she said.

Influence in the administration

Turco said the Assembly's influence over the administration fluctuates. She said the Assembly's influence depends on how the administration perceives the Assembly's representation of the student body.

"That's because there are times when the administration's perception is the Assembly is truly representative, is working for the students and is really in touch with what the Dartmouth undergraduates care about," Turco said.

"Other times, the perception is that the SA is not representative, is not in touch with the undergraduates and is not necessarily a viable entity," she said.

Trustee Joe Mathewson, chair of the Trustee Committee on Student Affairs, said the legitimacy of the Assembly is not something the Board considers.

"That's up to the student body," Mathewson said. "For us to try to determine questions of legitimacy is beyond our scope."

Mathewson said the Board is interested in Assembly resolutions, but is not always aware of them.

Sateia said she thinks the administration appreciates the open conversation between the Assembly president and the administration.

Sateia said the College respects the Assembly when it researches issues thoroughly before making a statement and when the Assembly talks to "whatever area is involved."

Assembly resolutions involving the College are usually addressed by the appropriate administrators after the resolution passes through Assembly, Sateia said.

"After they pass a resolution, they inform the department. Any department on campus is going to review what the SA is saying," Sateia said. "What usually happens is that members of the SA then meet with members of the administration."

But Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97 said the administration only listens to the Assembly when it is convenient for the College to do so.

"The administration listens to students in as much as they agree with them," Honovich said. "If they don't agree with students, [Assembly resolutions are] most of the time ignored. The students are not part of the process."

Assembly member Brandon Del Pozo '96 said the administration is more permanent than the students and thus views students' opinions as constantly changing.

"In no sense do we have a final say with them," Del Pozo said. "Maybe it should be that way. They're going to be here much longer than we are."

Communication

Administrators say they have had a relatively communicative relationship with Assembly leaders.

Pelton said he meets with the Assembly president every week and sometimes meets with the vice president, but said he wishes he had more contact with the general Assembly.

"I think what I am rueful about is that I probably have not has as much contact with the general student Assembly membership as I would like," he said.

Pelton said he would be willing to attend Assembly meetings when the Assembly was discussing issues within his jurisdiction. "I would be happy to come to those meetings and make sure that when student take up these issues that they at least know what the facts are," he said.

Turco emphasized the importance of communication and personal contact with the Assembly as being key to understanding how the Assembly is running at a given time.

"When you have direct contact with Assembly members and you're working together, your impression is that SA is really effective and responsive to the students," she said.

"When you don't have that liaison and motions are being passed, and you've had no direct contact with Assembly members, then you're at a loss where the impetus is coming from," Turco said.

Turco said the administration gets much of its information about the Assembly from Sateia, because Sateia is the Assembly's adviser.

Mathewson said he tries to keep up with the Assembly's actions either directly or indirectly, but his contact with the Assembly is limited to formal reports.

"At the year's end, the Assembly prepares a formal report and we hear about what they do," he said. The Assembly president has an automatic seat on COSA.

The Assembly has been responsive to the Board's concerns about the College, Mathewson said.

Sichitiu said she would like to improve communications with the Trustees. "I've made a concerted effort to meet with more," she said. "But it's difficult because they're not here."

Honovich said he thinks the Trustees listen to the Assembly more than the administration does.

"We have more influence with the Trustees than the administration," he said. "That's what happened with Webster Hall."

Del Pozo said he thinks the Trustees are more willing to listen because they do not feel obligated to act on the Assembly's suggestions.

Troubles in the Assembly

Sateia acknowledged that the administration is aware of the turmoil the Assembly has faced in recent years. But Sateia said she does not think the turmoil has not completely affected the Assembly's ability to govern.

"I think there are [students] who have been working very hard," she said. "There is a variance as to how hard students work."

Pelton also said the College is aware of the troubles the Assembly has faced recently.

"Obviously, there's no secret that from time to time -- this year and the past year -- our student government seems to have been paralyzed or diminished by very strong differences between the executive group and the legislative group," Pelton said. "Clearly that's unfortunate."

But Sateia said the Assembly's experiences with conflict are not unique to Dartmouth.

"I've talked to others in my position who have said what we're going through is no that different from what other campuses go through," she said.

Sateia said she hopes the conflicts will not continue indefinitely. "What I'm hoping is that the turmoil will end," she said. "I think they're showing that they can work together."