Winter wolf being built

Even though there now is enough snow to complete the traditional Winter Carnival sculpture on the center of the Green, there still is a chance the sculpture will not be completed.

Patricia Bankowski '95, who is in charge of building this year's sculpture, said if enough students do not come out to help construct the sculpture, it will not be finished in time for Carnival.

"I do have some concerns about the timing of the snow sculpture," she wrote in an electronic mail message. "I have done everything to the best of my ability and I do not know what else to do."

Bankowski said the current plan is to complete the sculpture by Thursday at 7 p.m., right before the Carnival's opening ceremonies.

By Thursday's deadline, workers must put snow on the frame between the chicken wire and need to put slush on top to create the desired shape.

Bankowski herself designed this year's sculpture, which is based on the Carnival's theme of "Call of the Wild." Based on a model of a picture she found, the sculpture will look like a wolf howling at the moon.

It will stand 30-feet tall and the widest part of it will be 11 to 12 feet, Bankowski said.

The sculpture "will come out good if people want it to," Bankowski said.

She said the only way the sculpture will be a success is if students volunteer their time to building it.

"I am still a little confused by this -- the snow sculpture seems to be important to everyone, but no one wants to be out in the cold to help make it good," she wrote.