Trustees to consider tuition raise

The College's Board of Trustees arrives in Hanover today for its annual winter meeting, where it will set next year's tuition, and discuss computing services and several ongoing projects.

Tuition and room and board increases are set by the Trustees every winter. Last year, the Trustees raised tuition and mandatory fees by 6.94 percent.

"The Trustees will be discussing various budget issues -- ongoing issues," College spokesman Alex Huppe said.

As part of its discussion of financial matters for the weekend meeting, the Dean of the Faculty Office will meet with the Board to discuss faculty compensation, he said.

The Trustees will discuss how to keep Dartmouth's faculty compensation on par with similar institutions, he said.

Huppe said the Trustees will also receive an update on campus planning, where they probably will hear about plans for the $19 million psychology building and renovations on Robinson Hall.

Director of Computing Larry Levine will give the Trustees a report on College computing services, Huppe said.

The director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Washington office will talk to the Trustees about the impact of the new Republican-run Congress, Huppe said.

"It is the continuation of a program started last year to keep Dartmouth's Trustees informed about the national changes that affect higher education," he said.

Huppe said he did not believe the Committee on Student Affairs will convene this term.

On Saturday the Trustees will spend two hours having breakfast with students. The breakfast "offers students the chance to have dialogues with alumni who are focused on a long-term vision of Dartmouth," said Hosea Harvey '95, the intern in the President's Office.

"It also allows them opportunity to discuss campus issues from a different point of view," he said.Board Secretary Cheryl Reynolds could not be reached for comment.