Three juniors will run for SA president

Three students have announced their plans to run for Student Assembly president next term.

Juniors Jim Brennan, Brandon del Pozo and Phil Ferrera have all thrown their hats into the presidential ring.

Brennan, the runner-up in last year's presidential election, said he wants to increase the Assembly's credibility by increasing campus respect for the body.

"The Student Assembly has been ineffective in the past year and has been the three years I've been at Dartmouth," Brennan said.

Brennan, who was on the Assembly over the summer, said he wants to focus on student needs. "I will want to address the needs of students on campus and basically get things done," he said.

Brennan is the intern at the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences and was co-president of the Conservative Union At Dartmouth last term.

Del Pozo said he decided to run for president as the culmination of a long involvement with College issues and campus politics.

He said student services are an important part of the Assembly and his platform will address the Dartmouth Plan, campus dining and the Assembly's course guide.

Del Pozo, co-chair of the Assembly's communications committee, has served on the Assembly since Summer term. He currently is the intern in the College News Service, and is a member of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps. He also is the social chair for Kappa Chi Kappa fraternity.

"I think a Student Assembly president has to be someone who has a vision, who knows how to negotiate compromise, who can motivate people and I also think it is important that the person is a very independent thinker," del Pozo said.

Ferrera, who has never been an Assembly member, said he will run on a platform of student services and Greek, minority and women's issues.

"I want to work with and for all aspects of the Dartmouth community, not just the majority," he said.

Ferrera, who is a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, cited the relocation of the Women's Resource Center, the establishment of a 24-hour crisis hotline and the allocation of a gender-issue residence hall the as some of his priorities.

Ferrera said he is in close consultation with Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 about women's issues and has discussed with her the workings of the Assembly.

He said it is "probable" that his running-mate for the spring elections will be Mariya Rosberg '96. Rosberg, currently in Argentina, could not be reached for comment.

As summer president of Beta, Ferrera said he guided the house through its first months under sanctions imposed by the College after an alleged hazing incident.

"I see the Student Assembly is in a real rut," he said. "I have a real history of bringing organizations from their darkest hour back to respectability."

Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97 said he will not run for Assembly president or vice president.