Seasonal Fashion Sense

As we begin 1995 and the College celebrates 23 years of coeducation, I would like to discuss an important element in the quest for equitable gender relations at Dartmouth -- fashion.

Many observations have been made about the typical male student's proclivity for baseball caps and plaid, but little has been said of women's couture. My comments are not concerned with lack of fashion, or excess of fashion, but instead concentrate upon what perhaps could be called a "seasonal fashion blindness". Lately I've noticed that a fair amount of women on this campus spend winter in miniskirts, pantyhose and nice leather shoes. They all look great, sure, but it is simply not practical winter wear.

Now, rarely do I see the men of Dartmouth in such insensible clothing. Some may insist on wearing shorts in 20 degree weather as some sort of primeval expression of their masculinity, but once a blizzard rolls around almost every male (and this, perhaps, is yet another editorial) dons his flannel and poly-pro. Why, then, are so many women of Dartmouth seen in fleece only on laundry days? Fortunately, I believe I have pinpointed an origin of women's misinformation about what constitutes reasonable winter attire.

For the past few weeks, the windows of the Hanover Gap have perfectly reflected this winter gender inequity. As I write (I'm not sure how often they change), two women mannequins sport miniskirts with an oxford or a thin ribbed sweater. The only mannequin that even wears pants is actually shown in a short-sleeve shirt. A short-sleeve shirt. This is not short-sleeve shirt season. One of my friends pointed out that perhaps the Gap was just advertising their spring collection. This theory would be plausible were it not for the blatant discrepancy between the male and female mannequins. The male mannequins each have at least two layers -- some of them actually have three or four. They usually have a t-shirt, oxford shirt and a sweater or blazer. And none of them are wearing miniskirts.

The point of this editorial is not to elaborate upon the general impracticality of much of what is considered fashion for women. We all recognize that one cannot run, jump, or even power-walk in a miniskirt. We all know that pantyhose are annoying -- they run, snag, and, in this weather, freeze your legs. I appreciate that many women feel more attractive in a short skirt and heels, and it is their decision to wear whatever makes them feel best. But I also cannot stand by and say nothing as women battle snow and wind in a pair of Nine West flats and a flared mini. Just because it's wool doesn't mean it somehow will warm your legs by suggestion.

Instead, I call upon the entire Dartmouth community to come together to support one another in our winter wear decisions. Men, tell your female friends how great they look in their turtlenecks! Gap, put on display at least one three layer outfit with wool pants for a woman. And, most importantly, women of Dartmouth unite! This is an issue around which we can all rally. Break out your sweatpants, your Sorrels, your thick wool sweaters yearning to be free! Lend each other wool socks and hats. Choose to wear your leggings under another pair of pants just because you can! Tuck away those trendy minis and knee-socks until March. We'll all be warmer people for it.