SA execs condemn ORL housing policy

The Student Assembly Executive Committee passed three resolutions last night, including one asking the Office of Residential Life to completely redraw housing numbers or to offer services helping sophomores find a place to live.

The Executive Committee also passed resolutions calling for the College's Board of Trustees to lobby against Congress' proposed financial aid cuts and another resolution condemning mandatory vehicle registration for students.

All three resolutions will be presented to the general Assembly at Tuesday night's meeting.

Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97 sponsored a resolution demanding ORL take action to fix problems with the new housing plan, which Honovich's resolution says inherently discriminates against sophomores.

Under this plan, Class of 1998 members would be the last group to receive housing. As a result, many of this year's freshmen may be wait-listed or not even offered on-campus housing next academic year.

"The resolution cites two major problems," Honovich said. "Sophomores will make up the entire wait list, and more seniors will choose to live in residential halls since they are given priority on room type and location on campus."

The resolution also said many sophomores do not spend their entire year in Hanover, so it will be difficult for '98s to obtain a nine-month or one-year lease usually required by Hanover landlords.

Nonresidence hall housing is even further limited for sophomores because they are not allowed to live in Greek housing during their sophomore fall, Honovich said.

If ORL can not redraw housing numbers, the resolution asks ORL to help students find other housing.

The resolution petitions ORL to provide information on off-campus housing, to help '98s obtain sublets for their off-terms and to establish another review committee this fall to find answers to the annual housing crunch.

"This resolution asks the College to take responsibility for the students that are left out in the cold," said Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95.

Another resolution that will be presented to the general Assembly on Tuesday will concern the recent news from Congress about the proposed financial aid cuts to students.

The resolution, sponsored by Assembly members Philip Ferrera '96, Ben Hill '98 and Sichitiu, urges the Trustees to lobby Congress to maintain student aid programs.

"If the College is to maintain need-blind admissions, it must do something to oppose these cuts," Sichitiu said.

"Fifty percent of students on the Dartmouth campus receive financial aid. This is an issue that does not only affect students of color," she said.

The final issue the general Assembly will review is a resolution, sponsored by Brandon del Pozo '96 calling for the repeal of mandatory vehicle registration on Coed, Fraternity and Sorority house parking lots.

The resolution asks the Parking Operations office to suspend the regulation, saying students living off-campus are not subject to stringent parking regulations.