Powells '95 stages 'Beauty in Black'

From music, poetry, dance, and drama, Neisha Powells '95 left no creative medium unexplored as she presented her senior thesis "The Beauty in Black: A Historical Revue," to a captivated and highly energetic audience in Collis Common Ground this Sunday.

Powells, a woman sporting many hats, wrote, directed, and starred in numerous scenes which composed the production.

"A dream come true ... this revue was to encourage everyone to see the history of Blacks in America from a different perspective," Powells said.

"Often Black History programs are centered around remembering famous Black leaders" Powells said.

"While these leaders are noteworthy and have made significant contributions to the African-American culture, far too often the everyday people who embody and determine Black History get overlooked," she said.

Appropriately timed during Black History Month, "Beauty in Black" presented the beginnings of Afro-American culture from "The Creation" by James Weldon Johnson to a Oprah-esque mock talk show addressing the controversial hip-hop of such artists as Snoop Doggy Dogg and Ice T.

In the brief vignettes, Powells showcases not only the feelings of the time period she's attempting to explore but also the costumes and music of that era. For example, in a transitional scene, Powells features performers adorned with poodle skirts and gaudy ribbons of the carefree '60s.

Powells magnificently weaved in slices of Black Americana in her production including combining different visual effects to appeal to a larger audience.

For instance, during a scene featuring herself and Cecily F. Cole '95 on vocals of "Deep River," a Negro spiritual, Powells shadows the scene with four dancers, Chinwe Ajene '98, Carmen Brady '98, Carline Dorcena '98, and Brandi M. Kenner '98. The dancers provided a physical interpretation to the emotions invoked by the melliflous lyrics sung by the pair.

"Beauty in Black" also served to spotlight a number of talented and multi-faceted Afro-Americans on campus.

The production high-lighted such little-known talents as the tap-dancing wonder, Jesse L. Kearney, Jr. '97 and the very convincing preacher's pulpit created by the bellowing voice of Simeon Anderson '97.

"Slavery and the early years of African-American experience are generally perceived as negative, so they tend to be glossed over," Powells said.

Powells tried to combat that stereotype by presenting several scenes of slave life especially concentrating on the music of that period because of the profound effects it has made on the music industry today.

Other sensations like J.R. Riddick '95, who co-directed parts of the production, added humor and wit to his scenes which brought audience participation.

The only fault that could be attributed to this production is its two hour length. However "Beauty in Black" is the story of Blacks in America from slavery to the modern era and Powells was careful to give equal time to each perspective.

Powells production provided a number of different approaches to the literature by several African-American artists.

"Expression is the key to the success of the African-American culture," said Powells.

Powells splendidly crafts scene after unending scence with spiraling themes, providing unique and fresh outlooks on antiquated subjects. Exquisite and powerful, "Beauty in Black" vividly reaffirms the vibrancy of African-American culture in contemporary society.