Police report no leads

Hanover Police said they have no new information about the identity of the man who allegedly sexually assaulted a female student in the East Wheelock Cluster during Winter Carnival weekend.

Sergeant Frank Moran, the officer in charge of the investigation, said "the evidence we have gotten hasn't narrowed down the suspect pool for us."

"We don't have what I consider to be any great leads," he said. "I wouldn't say that it is promising." But Moran said "we haven't given up on it ... We haven't closed the case yet."

"What we're doing is following up on some of the guests we are aware were staying in rooms. We're trying to account for their whereabouts," Moran said.

The investigation stems from six complaints made on Feb. 11 by residents of Morton and Andres Halls. Five students complained of an unidentified male entering their room.

The other case involved a woman who awoke at about 5:00 a.m. to find an unidentified male crouching over her, feeling her stomach and lower body, a Hanover Police press release said.

Residents probably complained about two different individuals, Moran said.

"We have a description of a white male, and, in at least one other complaint, we have a description of a black male," he said.

"It is conceivable that [the intruders] went into the wrong room. Especially with all the guests," Moran said.

But he said the police are treating the sexual assault very seriously since "it obviously wasn't accidental."

The Department is also continuing to investigate the alleged sexual assault case that occurred in French Hall Fall term.

On Nov. 2, a woman living in French reported that she awoke to find a male intruder on top of her.

"We had some fingerprint evidence which wasn't terribly promising," Moran said. "We're having some comparisons done of bodily fluids at the scene."

He said a Concord crime lab and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are still examining evidence from the crime scene.

But "that particular individual may not have anything to do with it," he said.

Moran said he does not think there is a link between the incident in the River and the incident in East Wheelock.

"If you go by the descriptions, I would say no," he said.

There are differences in hair color and physiognomy, Moran said.