Pelton may move back final recommendations

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said he will consider pushing back the formal presentation of his recommendations on the First-Year Experience to the Board of Trustees.

Pelton said he is thinking of moving his presentation from the Board's April meeting to its meeting in June.

"At this point all I can say is that I am eager to finalize the report, that I am continuing meeting with students ... and that I am also anxious to bring the Trustees the final report," he said.

Pelton said if he does decide to delay his presentation to the Board, he will delay the release of a final set of recommendations from the end of the February to early May.

Pelton's final recommendations will be based on the report of the Committee on the First-Year Experience, which was released last May.

The committee, created and chaired by Pelton, recommended substantial changes to increase intellectualism in the first-year experience, including primarily-freshman residence hall clusters with a faculty member living in a house near the cluster.

Pelton said the move would give students more time to express opinions and concerns about the final proposals before he presents them to the Board.

He said he is concerned there is "not enough time for students to digest the final report."

Pelton said the delay would also give him more time to discuss his recommendations with other constituents like the faculty and alumni.