No new meningitis cases reported

College Health Service officials have not diagnosed any new cases of meningitis since Slade Ellis '98 fell critically ill with meningitis about two weeks ago, according to Health Services Director Dr. Jack Turco.

In a letter to the Dartmouth community dated Feb. 1, Turco wrote that a third student was identified as a "carrier" of the meningococcus bacteria at the end of January and was treated with antibiotics.

According to Turco, carriers have the bacteria in either their noses or throats and can usually be treated before an infection develops. He said anywhere between one to five percent of the College could be carriers and never know it.

Turco said most carriers simply get rid of the bacteria without passing it on to others or becoming infected themselves.

Ellis '98, who was at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and Dick's House for a week, returned home last Thursday.

Ellis said he feels completely better and praised the College for its treatment of his illness.

"They handled it really well," he said.

Ellis's illness came a week after another student was diagnosed with meningoccemia, an infection that results from the meningococcus bacteria entering the bloodstream.

Both meningitis and meningoccemia are caused by the meningococcus bacteria.

The first two cases may have been connected, because both Ellis and the student with the blood infection had B-strain subtypes of the meningococcus bacteria, Turco said. The B-strain subtype is the most common in the United States, Turco said.

The third case might also be related to the other two if tests reveal the carrier had the B-strain subtype. The College is still awaiting the results of those tests, Turco said.

Turco said C-strain subtypes are more typical on college campuses, but the B-strain subtype has recently become more prevalent.

In his letter, Turco wrote that no vaccine is available for the B-strain subtype.

He warned the Dartmouth community to be aware of the possibility of infection from the meningococcus bacteria.

"Meningococcal infections are very serious and can prove fatal," he wrote. "They occur sporadically throughout the year, but most often appear during the winter months."

Turco added that college campuses are especially susceptible to the bacteria, particularly between December and March.

"The infections can cluster in close communities such as a college campus," he wrote.

Although no one else has been treated for the meningococcus bacteria since the letter was released, Turco said Health Service officials are still very much on the lookout.

Turco wrote, "all community members should be on the lookout for the early symptoms of a meningococcal infection and seek immediate medical evaluation if the symptoms occur.

"Symptoms include fever, sore throat, severe headache, lethargy, vomiting, stiff neck, and rash," he wrote.